Sign in with
Your question

Cannot access the internet with D LIink and My Fi

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 5, 2010 1:09:22 AM

I also have a little D Link Thumblink and Bell Mobility My Fi (Wi Fi) connection. The My Fi will connect the laptop to the internet but when I try to connect using the D Link Thumblink in the desktop, although it recornized the D Link, it reports that there are no wireless networks in the area -- which means it just isn't recognizing the one that is downstairs on the laptop. I don't know what more to do and am open to suggestions. The reply to the other question was really not very kind. And probably off put the enquirer since I see no further questions from him or her.. Surely that is not the aim of this forum - the aim should be to help, not to cut someone off at the knees. Even though we may own quite sophisticated technology, we are not necessarily sophisticated users of it. We aren't all as privileged as some others.

More about : access internet liink

Anonymous
September 6, 2010 4:20:09 AM

"Even though we may own quite sophisticated technology, we are not necessarily sophisticated users of it. We aren't all as privileged as some others."

Some of us don't own the sophisticated equipment you mention. But what we do own we spend time learning how to use. That's not a privilege. It's a necessity if you are going to share the privilege of using this technology.

You confuse me with the passage " My Fi will connect the laptop to the internet but when I try to connect using the D Link Thumblink in the desktop, although it recornized the D Link, it reports that there are no wireless networks in the area -- which means it just isn't recognizing the one that is downstairs on the laptop."

I'm lost on the second or third "it" .

In my experience if a wireless adapter (perhaps like the mentioned Thumblink) doesn't spot a compatible wireless device when it scans it's out of range physically or faulty -- or not compatible.

For anyone other than a Mifi and "D Link Thumblink" owner to answer you -- probably need to define slightly more what this stuff is. I guess you knew when you bought it.

I have discovered that Mi Fi is a 3G modem which plugs into laptops but it doesn't appear to also be a conventional 802.11 wireless networking device so may not be found by a wireless adapter in your desktop computer.

As for the Thumblink -- I can't find any reference to that via Google. I suspect you've either got the name wrong or it is, as I suspect an 802.11 wireless adapter, so perhaps it isn't compatible with the Mi Fi which is 3G and designed to connect to a computer by USB.

If you want to share the 3G modem between the computers you might look at Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the Windows Help files and run an ethernet crossover cable between the two computers. I'm not sure whether this will work because the Mi Fi may not be designed to be shared.

There may be a solution involving adding an 802.11 wireless router or access point to the laptop but that's getting complicated.

Probably the simplest solution is to buy a second Mi Fi and plug it into the desktop. I think there are also 3G routers.
m
l
September 17, 2010 12:32:36 AM

Actually, the Bell Mobility MiFi as it is called is a solution offered to us as the only way to obtain high speed internet where I live. It is not my choice - but it is better than dialup where I was getting speeds of a blistering 19kbps. So I did not actively choose and purchase the equipment and would far rather have ASDL and connect up easily. The telephone company does not intend to service every house - at least not in the immediate future. As far as learning all about the equipment - someone with an engineering degree designed it for me and others to use - and I don't intend to go back to school to get a similar degree just so I can use it. I was rather hoping to connect with other understanding and confounded people who might have similar equipment nearby through your forum and learn from their suggestions rather than ask advice from the moderator but obviously they don't read your forum.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
September 17, 2010 7:39:27 AM

"As far as learning all about the equipment - someone with an engineering degree designed it for me and others to use - and I don't intend to go back to school to get a similar degree just so I can use it."

If one needed a degree, I'd be stuck because I left school at 16. However, I did first buy a PC in 1985 despite a bit of a suspicion that if I didn't understand something I probably didn't need it.

Back then the computer cost about a month's salary and you had to search for books on computing before you could do much. Software was text-based on a green screen. So maybe it's a bit unfair for me to preach at you but perhaps you'll understand my frustration when other people expect to buy stuff and just have it work.

However, if you have a look at the second half of my reply above you'll see some practical suggestions as far as I could make them with the information you supplied.
m
l
September 17, 2010 3:21:17 PM

I admit, I do buy stuff and I do expect to have it work. I buy a car for a lot of hard-earned money and it costs a lot more than a month's salary. But when I put the key into the ignition I have a right to believe it will start the engine without understanding all the complexities of the internal combustion engine and the electrical system. If I had to learn about everything I use, eat or watch, I would be on overload. Everything in life is about priorities and my priority is not learning about every detail about a computer. Maybe this comes from being a senior citizen and realizing my time is finite, I don't know. However, I did go to Staples and talk with a young kid there who is more of a computer expert and he recommended this little device that is a usb adaptor to make the pc I have wireless. He said it helped that I was running XP Home and that it should work. He called it a thumblink - because it is so small I guess. And he is right -- it does make the desktop computer wireless. However even when I bring the MyFi up to the office where the desktop is, the desktop computer cannot "see" the MyFi although the MyFi is showing itself to be "on and connected: to the internet. I am told by Bell that four more computers, including desktops, can be connected wirelessly to the MyFi. An ethernet connnection is not practical to use between the floors of a house. So I am just trying to connect with people who are running into the same problem and maybe finding solutions that I haven't. Computers have come a long way since the green screens and Fortran but there are still hurdles we face. I have found out that sometimes the solution comes in buying another adaptor for the desktop. Buying another MyFi should not have to happen. There are many people who give of their experience happily and willingly. I'm not suggesting that a person who doesn't obtain formal education is too stupid to learn - the world is full of people who learn by trial and error, by experience and by the experience of others. Helping people learn is what I do - and believe me, learning is a lot more complicated than many people believe. I understand from Bell that many people have done what I am trying to do --- I just have to find them or their solutions! Thanks for your help.
m
l
Anonymous
September 17, 2010 4:28:05 PM

The motor car has been around 100 years and has a single purpose.

The personal computer is a multi purpose product which has evolved enough that it's the equivalent of, perhaps, a 1920's motor car -- when most had hand cranks to start them and the tyres burst weekly. Some vehicles had the accelerator on the steering wheel and foot pedals to change gear.
m
l
September 17, 2010 5:43:42 PM

The computer has many uses just like a car but neither is a toy -- people create both and people are not perfect so what they create is not perfect either. I wear glasses and if God can't give me perfect eyes, what can I expect from people except a smile and to do their best to help? :)  :sol: 
m
l
December 18, 2010 9:17:06 PM

I share your frustration. I spent 45 years working with computers--large mainframes at first and pc's for the past 25+ years, primarily as a systems programmer but have never considered myself a network architect or engineer. Software is my specialty not hardware. I would like to replace my current DSL internet provider with a MiFi 4G provider. That said I currently have a DSL line which connects to a wireless router. The wireless router allows me to connect to the internet from my laptop. I also connect to the internet via the router and wires to my desktop, netflix, and directtv vod. If I go MiFi I understand I can use a USB to get my desktop connected to the MiFi and thus the internet but what about the other "wire" devices (Netflix DVD and DirectTV DVR)? How can I connect them? The MiFi has no ethernet connections. Is there a device out there that connects wireless internet to wired devices?
m
l
Anonymous
December 19, 2010 8:16:35 AM

Instead of the Mi-Fi unit you may need to look at another 3G internet connection where you are provided with an integrated router. That would have ethernet connections and give you the flexibility you need. My understanding is that Mi-Fi's main benefit is its compactness.

As far as replacing a DSL connection with 3G, I suspect cost would be of an entirely higher order but this may depend on what offers are available and how they compare price/performance with your landline connection.
m
l
December 19, 2010 2:13:12 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I did not know what to google. As for cost I think an unlimited 4G package may be about the same as ADSL+4G limited. But my main sticking points are speed and "flexibility" to include my wired devices to the internet. Again thanks for your input.
m
l
!