I5 2500k temperature too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,
I just finished building my rig and in UEFI under Monitor, I see that my CPU is idling around 65-70 C. Is this normal for the i5 2500k? I am using the stock HSF if this helps.

Solution
I've learned that the culprit behind the insanely high temps for the i5-2500k, is the "auto" feature for the CPU Voltage. Set this to "Manual" and DO NOT exceed 1.39V on AIR. With my Coolermaster V6GT, my temps never exceed 67C while running Prime95. Idle in windows is between 26-29C now!
No that's not normal. Idle should be more like 40C, and 70C under full stress with a burn test.

Make sure you pushed the 4 pins all the way through the board and then locked them (without removing it).

If it's still bad you might have to buy some new thermal paste and redo it all or just go buy a cheap aftermarket cooler like a Hyper 212+.

G

Yea i might have to, the only thing I can remember was when installing it I sat the heatsink on the CPU and lifted it by accident up for about 2-3 seconds and saw some of the thermal pad on the CPU, would that quick exposure have done this? Also I'm pretty bad with the push-pin HSF, not exactly sure if its locked lol...

G

This is what I just did, and its weird, so I unlocked the HSF and got all 4 corners up as if i were installing it fresh but I didn't lift it, but when I push 1 side down, another side would pop up, theres no way to get it to sit evenly =[. My question is, can I lift the HSF and resit it without removing the old thermal paste or applying new one? or that is not suggested?

You definitely don't want to do that. The thermal paste gets squished out and once you disturb it, there's a very high chance you'll get air pockets which will make it almost useless.

A new TIM is $10, so it's not a big deal and it'll be better than the stuff it came with.

And yeah, that's one of the stupidest issues... same thing with my girlfriend's PC when I upgraded her to an E5400. I ended up just being very careful and managed to get them all to stay, but I know if I just bump it too hard it might pop up.

So... you might want to consider a proper aftermarket heat sink. With screws. lol

Wow this "issue" keeps coming up this week. I've explained it in quite a few threads now...

Having higher temps in the BIOS/UEFI is normal behavior. <----- if I could have this go all the way across the screen and flash and switch colors, I would.

The CPU cannot enter low-power idle mode until the system is completely booted up and in Windows. When in the BIOS, the cores are somewhat loaded, and with the stock cooler the temps will creep up to a certain point and level off. Most people don't stay in the BIOS long enough to notice how high it gets, but 55-70ºC is normal.

With a good aftermarket cooler, the temps will still creep up, just nowhere near as high.

I have noticed the higher-temp BIOS behavior in at least my last four systems: one Sandy Bridge, one Athlon II X4, one original Phenom quad, and one original Phenom triple. It may go back farther than that, but I don't remember off-hand.

G

thank you for the information, and my apologies for not searching, I was freaking out when I saw the temperatures so I just made a post in hopes of getting a reply. Wish I read this post earlier but I kinda took the HSF out to try to realign it, which is weird because still, when i push say the top right side down, the bottom left side pops up a bit and vice versa, and its weird because the bottom right side makes a weird cranking noise when i'm turning the knob to lock it, either way, I'm waiting for my friend to bring me some thermal so I can reapply and resit the HSF, I thought about getting an aftermarket HSF but I just do not have the funds the spare atm since I went a bit over my budget building my rig. Thank you though!

Emic

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I am not an expert at all, but figured I would add a comment here while I am waiting for some downloads. I just built my computer today with a i5 2500k sandybridge. When I turned the BIOs on it showed it idle at 38deg C then when I got windows in it went down to about 29deg C. Thats with a hyper 212+

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Yeah "Leaps from shadows" is correct...on my i52500k once I enter the bios im hitting about 40c...and if your quick enough you can check cpu-z and it will show your cpu working almost at load for a few seconds to get everything up and running...the high temps in the bios isn't a huge deal...monitor it while your at your desktop for more accurate results..and pay attention to cpu-z and hwmonitor (assuming you downloaded the two apps)

Also, the paste could be an issue..if it actually is...clean it off with some iso.p alcohol..and re-apply the paste...btw..are you using the stock cooler?

kashtr0_305

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I just built my new gaming rig with an i5-2500k and it allowed me to overclock it all the way up to 5.4ghz and load into windows! The biggest issue I am having is when I run IBT or Prime95, within 2 or 3 minutes my core temps are in the 80's. My CPU cooler is a Coolermaster V6 GT which from everything I read is 'supposed' to be better than h50 & h70 watercooling kits.

I've dropped down my voltages and even gone with a moddest 4.5ghz OC and I'm still reaching these high temps when I run burn test. I idle at around 29-32 degrees but instantaneously jump up when running burn test.

Another weird thing is that my core 0 temp is always about 10-12 degrees below the rest of the cores under full stress. I can't understand it why? Oh well, my 2nd XFX 6970 comes in the mail today and plus I was too excited to get this system up and running that I neglected to do cable mgmt. So, I'm going to take the whole system apart today and reseat the CPU cooler and make sur everything is good.

Any thoughts TH?

rygini22

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
From my recent experience with this same exact issue, I would say it is def NOT normal for your PC to idle in the 60-70C range, even in the BIOS. I put together my PC (2500k, stock cooler) 2 days ago and noticed it was idling 66C in the BIOS so I bought a Corsair H50 and it now idles at 33C in the BIOS and around 25C-30C range in Windows.

I also had the same issue not being able to "click" in the stock cooler. they make it sound so damn easy but that thing is a pain in my #@!@$.....lol. Make sure to clean off the CPU and heatsink with some rubbing alcohol to remove old thermal paste bc that is mostly likely where you're problem is. Once the heatsink is properly placed your temps should decrease

(1) Baring the problem of getting the Stock HSF on properly (Been an issue sice the E6xxx days), the stock HSF is at the bottom of the heap in terms of performance - As SupremeLaw (oldposter) use to say - It should be outlawed.

(2) This does seem more previlant with the 2500k cpus as a number of posters have identified hitting 60 in bios and then a decrease when operating system is loaded. While I can understand the rational for Higher in bios as leap-from-shawdow indicated. When in bios the loading should be light, say 5%, on all four cores for 100% of the time produces x amount of heat. When you get to the operating system the load is increased say to 10%, BUT it is only for say 10% of the time which means avg loading is less - simular to PWM. Why this should be more an issue with the 2xxx Cpus than the I5-750 is beyound me.
I still think that 60 % is to high (not for the CPU,, but when you get to the operating system and put a heavy load on it, you are liable to see 80+ C - and that is without a OC - ouch.

What you need to do is run HWMonitor, monitor the 4 core temps, and run prime95. 15 Minutes should tell you if you have a problem. my quess is after 15 min you're going to power off and RUN to get a 3rd party HSF

kashtr0_305

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I've learned that the culprit behind the insanely high temps for the i5-2500k, is the "auto" feature for the CPU Voltage. Set this to "Manual" and DO NOT exceed 1.39V on AIR. With my Coolermaster V6GT, my temps never exceed 67C while running Prime95. Idle in windows is between 26-29C now!

Solution

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
As far as the "one corner lifting while pushing the other corner" issue, try pushing down on both corners at the same time (diagonally). First the top-left and bottom-right corners and then the top-right and bottom-left corners. This should alleviate the issue of one corner raising when pushing on the other....

G

i will try this, sorry for the long replies, I formatted my computer and havent had time to check the forums =X

edit:

some additional information:

I've changed the thermal paste to artic silver 5, I am still using the stock cooler, for my budget doesn't allow me to get an after market HSF, nor do I really plan on it since I'm leaving the CPU at stock speeds. I use CPUID-Z and Core Temp and each core is usually around 55-60 C when I'm playing games like WoW and LoL, otherwise it will idle about 45-50 C, which IMO still a bit high dont you think? any additional help would be greatly appreciated!

G

sorry if this counts as double post, but I tried that just now and wow, my temps are steadily 40-49 C which is better, but I still feel its kinda high for near idling, i set the voltage to 1.18, on auto it is 1.184 so its close enough, my question is would setting the voltage lower result in less temperature? thanks!

G

Question about Prime95 (never used it before), if in fact my computer isn't stable and I just let it sit, what's the worst that can happen? I'm asking because I have this fear that my CPU will burn out and fry the mobo =X

Prime95 runs one instance per core on your CPU. If your system isn't stable, one or more of those instances will produce an error and stop computing.

I have personally tested the thermal response of the Sandy Bridge chips. Their Tjmax (maximum safe CPU temp) is 98ºC and the CPU begins auto-throttling (automatically reducing CPU speed) in the low-90sºC to prevent heat damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.