Sign in with
Your question

Asus Crosshair Formula V Thunderbolt New Build

Last response: in Motherboards
November 22, 2011 11:06:27 PM

Howdy All,

I am building a new gaming PC (Specs Below), and have this DRam issue. I have tested this in and out of the case with all the normal methods and have also tested with working Ram from another PC.

Build:-

Case - Thermaltake Level 10 GT
CPU - AMD FX 8120
Board - Asus Crosshair Formula V Thunderbolt
Ram - (4 x 4Gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B)
PSU - Gigabyte Odin Pro 1200W
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
GPU - 2 x VTX3D Radeon HD6970 2Gb X - Edition (Cross Fire)
1 x Corsair Force Series GT 120Gb SSD
2 x WD Green 2Tb (WD20EARX)
Strike X LCD Fan Controller

Have tried the following:-

* (Out Of Case) - Motherboard / CPU / CPU Fan only .
* (Out Of Case) - As above with single Ram Stick swapping amongst all slots.
* (Out Of Case) - Reseating CPU
* (In Case) - All of the above
* Reset the CMOS via pins only
* Reset CMOS with Board Battery out for 30 mins
* Switched with Ram from another working PC (Patriot 2Gb x 2)

Using the Go button on the M/Board to switch on the PC, the LED's on the board light as follows :-

CPU - Lights Red then Off
DRam - Flashes Red (To my knowledge indicating CPU test was ok but stopped at the Ram test??)
This is where the story Ends so far. The Dram LED just flashes On / Off in Red, while all system fans and perifs seem to be powered and working to their unbooted state (ie, have power, but nothing else, except the LCD Fan controller)

Orange LED on M/Board detecting the HDD's have been detected via Sata.

I have tried everything in my small noobish knowledge base of a brain, but am hoping people here can help me fix it. I have spent hours on the web searching forums and can find multiple instances where people are having this issue with the board / Ram, but so far not a fix that i am able to impliment.

Im going insane with my PC i paid very good money for sitting there currently as good as a paperweight. All help will be very much appreciated, and any little thing you can suggest would be awesome.

On a final note, All PC companants were researched for compatability prior to purchase. All items are on the QVL's for each componant.

Many Thanks in advance to you all.

***************UPDATE SOLUTION FOUND ***************

Ok well its like this. Asus have printed on the carton and on the QVL that it is fully compatable with the new FX series CPU's and technically this is correct BUT what they dont tell you is that in most cases the motherboard requires a bios update before the FX Series CPU's will run on it.

To solve the problem you will need an older AM3 CPU (In my case i tore the Phenom II 955 BE out of my old PC and installed it into the new one and i booted straight into the Bios where i loaded my PRE-DOWNLOADED Bios update i had ready on a flash stick.

I installed the bios update then shutdown and switched over the CPU's back to the FX8120 and rebooted. Straight into Bios setup and then continued from there to install Windows 7 Pro.

I hope this helps others out there with the same p[roblem and while having to use another older CPU to update the motherboard might not be a direct option after purchase, in most cases the store in which you bought the Motherboard should upodate it for you at a small cost.

IMPORTANT NOTE :- If you are using a mother of a Air CPU Cooler keep in mind the removal of it to get to the CPU. If it wasnt for the fact the Thermaltake Level 10 GT has plenty of space to move around, what was a large pain would have been a nightmare. Also have plenty of Thermal Compound on hand as switching the CPU's will take a fair amount of it. (I used 1.5 tubes throughout my ordeal, but replaced the CPU 5 times before solving the problem).

Please pass the word on to anyone buying the above motherboard and CPU combinbation and it will save them the same headaches i have had, and also thanks to the lone soldier that origanlly posted this fix on the net for me to find.
December 9, 2011 10:36:44 PM

Livefire - Thanks for this! I just RMA'd my new Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt because I could not get anything to work. Same issue as you, same RAM, but using ax FX8150.

This is a PITA because I dont have an AM3 CPU to to the BIOS updates!

Damn Damn DAMN ASUS!

Livefire said:
Howdy All,

I am building a new gaming PC (Specs Below), and have this DRam issue. I have tested this in and out of the case with all the normal methods and have also tested with working Ram from another PC.

Build:-

Case - Thermaltake Level 10 GT
CPU - AMD FX 8120
Board - Asus Crosshair Formula V Thunderbolt
Ram - (4 x 4Gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B)
PSU - Gigabyte Odin Pro 1200W
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
GPU - 2 x VTX3D Radeon HD6970 2Gb X - Edition (Cross Fire)
1 x Corsair Force Series GT 120Gb SSD
2 x WD Green 2Tb (WD20EARX)
Strike X LCD Fan Controller

Have tried the following:-

* (Out Of Case) - Motherboard / CPU / CPU Fan only .
* (Out Of Case) - As above with single Ram Stick swapping amongst all slots.
* (Out Of Case) - Reseating CPU
* (In Case) - All of the above
* Reset the CMOS via pins only
* Reset CMOS with Board Battery out for 30 mins
* Switched with Ram from another working PC (Patriot 2Gb x 2)

Using the Go button on the M/Board to switch on the PC, the LED's on the board light as follows :-

CPU - Lights Red then Off
DRam - Flashes Red (To my knowledge indicating CPU test was ok but stopped at the Ram test??)
This is where the story Ends so far. The Dram LED just flashes On / Off in Red, while all system fans and perifs seem to be powered and working to their unbooted state (ie, have power, but nothing else, except the LCD Fan controller)

Orange LED on M/Board detecting the HDD's have been detected via Sata.

I have tried everything in my small noobish knowledge base of a brain, but am hoping people here can help me fix it. I have spent hours on the web searching forums and can find multiple instances where people are having this issue with the board / Ram, but so far not a fix that i am able to impliment.

Im going insane with my PC i paid very good money for sitting there currently as good as a paperweight. All help will be very much appreciated, and any little thing you can suggest would be awesome.

On a final note, All PC companants were researched for compatability prior to purchase. All items are on the QVL's for each componant.

Many Thanks in advance to you all.

***************UPDATE SOLUTION FOUND ***************

Ok well its like this. Asus have printed on the carton and on the QVL that it is fully compatable with the new FX series CPU's and technically this is correct BUT what they dont tell you is that in most cases the motherboard requires a bios update before the FX Series CPU's will run on it.

To solve the problem you will need an older AM3 CPU (In my case i tore the Phenom II 955 BE out of my old PC and installed it into the new one and i booted straight into the Bios where i loaded my PRE-DOWNLOADED Bios update i had ready on a flash stick.

I installed the bios update then shutdown and switched over the CPU's back to the FX8120 and rebooted. Straight into Bios setup and then continued from there to install Windows 7 Pro.

I hope this helps others out there with the same p[roblem and while having to use another older CPU to update the motherboard might not be a direct option after purchase, in most cases the store in which you bought the Motherboard should upodate it for you at a small cost.

IMPORTANT NOTE :- If you are using a mother of a Air CPU Cooler keep in mind the removal of it to get to the CPU. If it wasnt for the fact the Thermaltake Level 10 GT has plenty of space to move around, what was a large pain would have been a nightmare. Also have plenty of Thermal Compound on hand as switching the CPU's will take a fair amount of it. (I used 1.5 tubes throughout my ordeal, but replaced the CPU 5 times before solving the problem).

Please pass the word on to anyone buying the above motherboard and CPU combinbation and it will save them the same headaches i have had, and also thanks to the lone soldier that origanlly posted this fix on the net for me to find.

m
l
December 24, 2011 10:22:18 PM

UPDATE ----

I ordered an BIOS EEPROM pre-loaded with 0908, popped it in an am now running with new MB and FX8150 Fedora 16. There is a guy on Ebay in Cardiff (UK) who can send you the EEPROM for 9.99GBP.

m
l
Related resources
March 12, 2012 1:26:18 PM

I have the same mother board and cpu and was going crazy until I found this post.

I don't have access to another AM3 processor however. Is there a way to update the BIOS with a flash drive of some kind? I vaguely remember reading about this at some other point and thing it may be what the last poster was alluding to, but I couldn't quite understand his post.

I've never messed with BIOS updating other than once I'm actually on a usable computer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
m
l
March 13, 2012 11:45:07 AM

Ah,

I ordered an updated BIOS from a third party site so I shouldn't have an issue once that gets here. This thread helped my sanity immensely though
m
l
May 10, 2012 4:02:36 AM

had same problem. discovered my bios chip wasnt seated properly
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 10, 2012 4:53:53 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Nikorr
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:08:20 PM

Just wanted to add confirmation, I bought a Crosshair V Formula, and tried a combination of hardware with it, including Phenom II X2 555, FX 4170, and FX 6200 processors, several different memory sets, and a few different video cards (even switched out keyboard and mouse a couple times). Lights would come on, start button caused all the fans to start, but no beep codes, and no POST. RMAed the board, it was returned with no comment about work done (if any), and still not functional. Bought a different board and installed all the original components (FX 4170, GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon HD6790), that is still running fine. Finally ordered a BIOS chip with current firmware, and the board booted first try.

I'm thrilled the board is going to work, but appalled at ASUS customer service/RMA process. I just can't believe this board was returned to me with, effectively, a bad BIOS. In the absence of any communication from ASUS, I can only presume they're putting the board back to "factory", with an outdated BIOS, perpetuating the problem.

In any case, anyone having issues getting this board to POST, order an updated BIOS, and save the shipping $$ on the RMA. Otherwise, find another way to update the BIOS, before abandoning hope. Good luck out there!!!

Berry
m
l
!