Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

All 6870s are rear exhaust?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 25, 2010 1:44:06 AM

why? :( 

More about : 6870s rear exhaust

a c 216 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 1:47:10 AM

Is there a problem with rear exhaust?
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 2:04:07 AM

because when cards first launch they usually come with reference cooling, which often means rear exhaust on dual slot cards
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 171 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 2:05:37 AM

I dont know if they are, but its a good idea. I wouldnt buy a card that isnt. you want that heat in your case?
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 2:15:58 AM

No not all of them, I have seen at least one maybe two that don't but the shell makes them hard to spot for the average user.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Once again some look like they are rear exhaust but are not as the fan is mid mounted and not of reference design, they typically have exhaust at both ends of the cards as well a small gap between the shell and the pcb that allows for air flow. The rest are obvious.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 2:27:56 AM

MSI ones sometimes arent. Cyclone and the such. But whats the problem with rear exhaust? Have a pet sleeping behind your computer? :lol: 
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 2:39:41 AM

ares1214 said:
MSI ones sometimes arent. Cyclone and the such. But whats the problem with rear exhaust? Have a pet sleeping behind your computer? :lol: 



Maybe a poorly hidden marijuana stash behind the comp :lol:  :whistle: 
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 2:44:58 AM

i tend to go macGyver on my computers. i use not so orthodox methods of cooling, which always include the case being off.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 3:05:27 AM

Frizzo said:
i tend to go macGyver on my computers. i use not so orthodox methods of cooling, which always include the case being off.




Like this? You are looking at one of my many mods. :whistle: 
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 3:54:27 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
I dont know if they are, but its a good idea. I wouldnt buy a card that isnt. you want that heat in your case?


you have no out-take fans? :lol:  My last three video card coolers have been the Glaciator, cyclone and twin frozr. all three ran cooler then any rear exhaust card.
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 4:16:50 AM

they are supposed to run cooler than rear exhaust. atleast if your case is off. nforce you dont want to know. picture taking every mechanical device in your house apart for the sake of computer cooling solutions, sort of like those borg cubes, just a big mechanical mess, it's a big square yet it's aeronautically efficient somehow.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 5:34:49 AM

The open cards are usually more effective at cooling the card itself. The rear exhaust cards better remove the heat from the computer as a whole. The best situation is a well designed open card like the ones ct mentioned combined with a case with good air flow so the heat from the card gets removed quickly anyway.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 1:08:26 PM

Frizzo said:
they are supposed to run cooler than rear exhaust. atleast if your case is off. nforce you dont want to know. picture taking every mechanical device in your house apart for the sake of computer cooling solutions, sort of like those borg cubes, just a big mechanical mess, it's a big square yet it's aeronautically efficient somehow.



There is something that just screams douchebag in your post :non: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 1:19:47 PM

My card does not have a rear exhaust, i wish my case would have more then one fan for exhaust. Even if the PSU has the second one, it is not enough. My sys temps have gone higher then before because of that. But not to the point of posing problems.

Sometimes a video card with rear exhaust gives you advantages.

If there are no 6870 with custom coolers now, there will be soon.
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 1:44:06 PM

Frizzo said:
they are supposed to run cooler than rear exhaust. atleast if your case is off. nforce you dont want to know. picture taking every mechanical device in your house apart for the sake of computer cooling solutions, sort of like those borg cubes, just a big mechanical mess, it's a big square yet it's aeronautically efficient somehow.


case is off? wtf does that mean? a skeleton case? do you actually know what a computer looks like and how airflow works? forget i asked that, you just proved you have no clue with the post above. I suggest you learn one thing about the subject you talking about before you post and make a complete tool of yourself.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 3:16:13 PM

You guys are being rather harsh, not that I agree with his solution. If you're going to go crazy with cooling, go liquid cooling.
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 3:25:20 PM

I'd imagine rear exhaust is much cooler when running mulitple cards, since the fan isn't blowing the hot air on the card next to it. Otherwise, I'll just blow the air into my side exhause fan...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 3:35:41 PM

Both are what they are, depends what your ambient temp is, how the inside of the case air flow is, and what setup you have and the user prefence is.

Some preference is to have conventional cooling (cool air onto chipset) some tend to favour the blower cooling (removing hot air from chipset)

Both are decent, both are adequete at their job.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 4:15:43 PM

Frizzo said:
sort of like those borg cubes, just a big mechanical mess, it's a big square yet it's aeronautically efficient somehow.
The borg managed to make it work by realizing there is no air in space.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 4:20:01 PM

96Firebird said:
I'd imagine rear exhaust is much cooler when running mulitple cards, since the fan isn't blowing the hot air on the card next to it.
The fans on video cards blow into the card. The issue in dual card setups is that the bottom card will block the air going into the top card's fan. If anything I would think that is actually a bigger issue on closed cards as that is the only spot air can get in.
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 5:27:09 PM

jyjjy said:
The borg managed to make it work by realizing there is no air in space.


lol I had to look up what a borg is, but yeah. Kind of easy to be aeronautical in the vacuum of space
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 5:48:44 PM

jyjjy said:
The fans on video cards blow into the card. The issue in dual card setups is that the bottom card will block the air going into the top card's fan. If anything I would think that is actually a bigger issue on closed cards as that is the only spot air can get in.


Ah, I didn't know that. I always thought the fans took air away from heatsinks, allowing cooler air to enter from the sides and to pass through the fins.
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 6:55:55 PM

humor apparently lost in translation. although some of those responses impel me to up my star trek iq, or my space physics iq atleast . im trying to picture nasa launching a cube off at the kennedy space center launch pad...see this is good stuff, good video game content.
m
0
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 7:46:47 PM

Frizzo said:
im trying to picture nasa launching a cube off at the kennedy space center launch pad..
they should build the cube in orbit to avoid aerodynamical problems inside the atmosphere
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 8:01:58 PM

Yes, it must be lost in translation. Cubes don't fly well, they have very poor aerodynamics. It would not be plausible for Nasa to try launching off a cube. Try taking a few minutes to read up about computers before your next post. It may help us to understand what it is your trying to tell us.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 8:03:45 PM

deweycd said:
Yes, it must be lost in translation. Cubes don't fly well, they have very poor aerodynamics. It would not be plausible for Nasa to try launching off a cube. Try taking a few minutes to read up about computers before your next post. It may help us to understand what it is your trying to tell us.


Theres a difference between fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and convection currents. I think people are mixing those 3 theories up a little.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 8:06:42 PM

Aerodynamics and fluid dynamics are the same thing. A liquid and gas act the same way dynamically. The only realy difference is that gases are compressible and most fluids are incompressible. However, convection currents have to do with heat transfer which is quite difference. You then have to involve conduction and radiation heat transference. This can get quite difficult and would be best equated using computer modeling.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 8:11:58 PM

deweycd said:
Aerodynamics and fluid dynamics are the same thing. A liquid and gas act the same way dynamically. The only realy difference is that gases are compressible and most fluids are incompressible. However, convection currents have to do with heat transfer which is quite difference. You then have to involve conduction and radiation heat transference. This can get quite difficult and would be best equated using computer modeling.


Unless you have a flying computer, how a sqaure flies is irrelevant to how well it cools.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 8:19:19 PM

The Next Generation......

BEST Television series EVER ! lol
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 8:23:12 PM

notty22: hell yea! remember when picard got assimilated by the borg? doesnt get any better.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 8:26:08 PM

............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_........ ..._,-%.......`
...................................,
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 8:26:49 PM

Frizzo said:
notty22: hell yea! remember when picard got assimilated by the borg? doesnt get any better.

Oh YEAH, I remember when and where I was , when I watched the season ender cliff hanger, I was on vacation in Montreal. Up there to watch a NHRA drag race.
They are on a course to sector 0 0 0 1 !
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 9:08:24 AM

ares1214 said:
............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_........ ..._,-%.......`
...................................,


^ HA HA HA HA HA..

I like StarTrek too but got to move on to Stargate and Stargate Atlantis.

Though StarTrek is one of the greatest moral series ever made.

Might as well get the spam medal for this posts :lol:  .
m
0
l
October 26, 2010 12:44:46 PM

deweycd said:
The only realy difference is that gases are compressible and most fluids are incompressible.


A gas is a fluid... Unless instead of fluid you meant liquid. From what I learned in my fluid mechanics, heat transfer and transport phenomena classes, I would think it would be a better idea to blow air away from the chip instead of sucking air towards it. When you suck towards it, you can create stagnant pocket which can cause problems. When you blow away from it, you suck in air from the sides that flow through the heatsink fins, and out through the fan. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 2:06:40 PM

When it comes to that , the design of the radiator and case of the video card has a massive effect on cooling. With current designs the fan does a better job sucking the air from inside the PC case and blowing it on to the radiator fins then doing it the other way.

If you have a poor airflow inside the case buy a rear exhaust video card, if you have a good ventilated case and you also take the option to overclock then you are better of buying a video card that has a custom cooler design.



m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 5:49:48 PM

96Firebird said:
A gas is a fluid... Unless instead of fluid you meant liquid. From what I learned in my fluid mechanics, heat transfer and transport phenomena classes, I would think it would be a better idea to blow air away from the chip instead of sucking air towards it. When you suck towards it, you can create stagnant pocket which can cause problems. When you blow away from it, you suck in air from the sides that flow through the heatsink fins, and out through the fan. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this...


Nope, I really did mean that a gas is a fluid, and a liquid is a fluid. But you are correct in that it is easier and more effective to blow air towards a chip set rather then suck. A vacuum isn't very efficient in removing heat from a body. So you didn't over think it, you have it right.
m
0
l
!