syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey there, i'm a paranoid person...and lately, the sound of my computer fans has been causing me some stress. I have downloaded "nTune, RivaTuner, and Pc Wizard" just so I can configure my fan speeds.

I believe the noisiest fan is that of my CPU-I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 running at 3200MHz.
My video card is a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 (It's apparently overclocked, but I bought it that way).

I have my GPU fan set to around 80, leaving the temperature around 39c when the computer is idol or just surfing the web. When I play the games i've installed, it reaches up to 50-54c max.
My CPU temperature is roughly around 40c at all times, as I don't use anything ballbusting to increase it's activity. Yet..the fan seems to be noisier than the rest, i'm not sure if it's normal, it's the bog standard fan I recieved with the CPU. (I have turned on Cool 'n' Quiet). Today, I installed nTune/Nvidia Monitor, and when I opened the monitor plugin, I noticed that on the Temperature Pop up, it mentions that my CPU fan is at 4 RPM. While my nForce fan is at 224 RPM, and my AUX1 reaches up to 673 RPM. Is this normal, or should something be done about it?

Thanks in return for anyone reading through and willing to help! I appreciate any advice given! :)

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey there, i'm a paranoid person...and lately, the sound of my computer fans has been causing me some stress. I have downloaded "nTune, RivaTuner, and Pc Wizard" just so I can configure my fan speeds.

I believe the noisiest fan is that of my CPU-I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 running at 3200MHz.
My video card is a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 (It's apparently overclocked, but I bought it that way).

I have my GPU fan set to around 80, leaving the temperature around 39c when the computer is idol or just surfing the web. When I play the games i've installed, it reaches up to 50-54c max.
My CPU temperature is roughly around 40c at all times, as I don't use anything ballbusting to increase it's activity. Yet..the fan seems to be noisier than the rest, i'm not sure if it's normal, it's the bog standard fan I recieved with the CPU. (I have turned on Cool 'n' Quiet). Today, I installed nTune/Nvidia Monitor, and when I opened the monitor plugin, I noticed that on the Temperature Pop up, it mentions that my CPU fan is at 4 RPM. While my nForce fan is at 224 RPM, and my AUX1 reaches up to 673 RPM. Is this normal, or should something be done about it?

Thanks in return for anyone reading through and willing to help! I appreciate any advice given! :)

A loud fan is ok, albeit annoying. A loud fan making odd noises like metal ticking or scraping - replace it. Fans are the cheapest component (sans filter) to keep your machine running healthy.

As far as the RPM mesurements - the program is not reading them correctly. However, just to be safe, visually inspect your fans and make sure they are turning properly. Do not attempt to spin them unpowered.

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey, i've been looking around the web for quite some time..Looking for ways to reduce my CPU Heatsink Fan speed. It's really starting to get on my nerves. It's so bloody loud for no reason. The max temperature it reaces is around 40c on all cores. I have a AMD Phenom II 955 BE. I've been checking the temperature of it via PCWizard. I'm 100% sure that the noise is coming from the Heatsink, i've removed other fans just to listen, and it's the culprit. Is there any way at all to make this thing shut the f- up? Before I launch it out the window?

It's the regular heatsink I got with it..a plastic piece of crap, i'm waiting until I have the chance to head into town and pick up a new one. My case is that of an Alienware, so it's pretty big and has a nice airflow.
I've also turned on AMD's Cool n' Quiet function..which, does nothing as far as I can see.

When I was looking around, I seen people had power supply problems, dust problems or whatever. I've recently removed the visable dust, and checked my PSU-It's a 750 WATT, and from what i've seen, I meet the recommendations for that CPU. My GPU is a GTS 250, if that makes any difference, but it never reaches above 60c, I have it's fan set to around 60-75% at times. (Seeing as it's fan is alot quieter than my heatsink).

Any advice, tips or suggestions would be appreciated! It's really bugging me that I have to put headphones in and pump my music up to full, just to block out the noise. My Tower is right next to me, but I can't move it too far away either..Thanks again!

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Well, there's no ticking or scraping like you mentioned. I have my side panel off, listening to the noise it's making. I have checked several times and the fan is running at top speed, by the looks of it. I think i'll invest in a new heatsink fan sometime soon, something quieter. I'm afraid of removing my heatsink at the moment, because i've no thermal paste to reapply it afterwards, wouldn't want to risk destroying or frying it.