Sign in with
Your question

Cat5e Network Drops

Last response: in Networking
June 10, 2010 5:14:34 PM

I've got Verizon FIOS installed in my home. When the service was originally installed, they put the jack in the Office. I would like to add a jack to 5 other rooms, 4 which are on the same level as the office and the 5th which is in the basement (finished walls/ceilings). I have picked up a 1000ft cat5e stranded utp riser rated cable pull box, 5 keystone jacks, 5 wall plates, small bag of rj-45 connectors, a network cable crimping tool and a netgear 8-port gigabit switch (gs108na).

The outside walls naturally have insulation in them and also what they used to call fire blocks or fire stops in between at least some of the 2x4's in the walls. These blocks/stops make it hard, if not impossible to route cable down from the attic. Now, for the 2 bedrooms, living room and family room, I can try to use the inside walls which should have no insulation or fire block/stops, if I'm lucky. The basement will be trickier, but can be done as well. I'm trying to figure out if I should just locate someone to do the cable drop portion of the installation for me. I can take care of the switch installation, patch cable creation, keystone jack wiring, etc. It's just the cable runs/drops in the walls that I would rather not try to do myself.

Anyone know how much I'm looking at spending to have someone do this type of job? Where should I start looking in order to find someone legit and professional to do the job? Let me know. Thanks.

-- MaSoP

More about : cat5e network drops

June 10, 2010 7:30:00 PM

Look at something like this.

http://www.tools-plus.com/flexi-drill-j728.html

You can daisy chain them as long as you want. Put a 1/2" spade on the end, add them in sections as you go through to top/or bottom plate. When you get all the way through tie a string to the bit (careful it's hot) and pull the string back through whilst retrieving your bit. Now use the pull string to do your cat 5e drop.
m
l
June 10, 2010 7:36:08 PM

If you're not sure where the wall comes out you can drill a small hole through the floor with a sharpened coat hanger (or something similar). When you're through the floorboard/ceiling measure from the wall at the top and then at the bottom. Now you know where the walls are from one floor to the other.
m
l
!