8800GT Sli question...

xwabbit

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hi, I was just wondering if my cpu could be holding back my sli set up. I have a Core2 Duo E4500 2.2Ghz, would I need a better cpu to unlock its full potential ?

not necessarilt a quad core, fast dual core will be ok, like e8600. But yes, that CPU will hold back even a single 8800gt, let alone 2 in sli. If your into overclocking you could get that cpu to around 3ghz with voltage increase, so long as your motherboard can support higher FSB speeds. You should be able to get to around 2.7 ghz without increasing voltage. You should see some good gains in FPS from that. But a newer, faster e8600 will be better as it has more cache to go along with higher clock speed.

xwabbit

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Thx for the advice, what software software should I use to overclock the cpu? Or can I do it in Bios ? I have a asus P5N-D(NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI)

xwabbit

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Ah thx, 1 last question and im off!. Should I use the video card power adapter or should I just plug in the PCI-E adapter directly to my video card ?

Always plug the PCIe connectors directly into the cards when possible and whilst a fast dual core is enough for a pair of 8800GT's it's the amount of onboard cache on that CPU that will also make a difference.

xwabbit

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

I mean this :p
http://www.shopit.ie/images/LP4PCIEXADAP_Alarge.jpg

Thx mousemonkey for the advice! and thx iam2thecrowe for trying to help!