Gaming PC for my 12 yr old.

Hello,
I'm trying to buy a gaming pc for my son. I have $700.00 to work with, can anyone help me please?
37 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. I don't have the knowledge required to build a pc myself. Is there a place I can find a gaming pc for about $700.00 already built?
  2. This would be an option then http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Back_To_School_2010/
    For gaming I would at minimum upgrade to HD5670 or HD5770 video card.
  3. www.dell.com
  4. is that the one for $589.00?
  5. Yes I suggest that one since then you have room to upgrade to a gaming GPU from HD5450 which is a basic card. Other good options would be HD5750 or GTS450 which are in between the two cards I listed before.
  6. can you post a link for me to get to that computer? i'm pretty computer illiterate. Also, how do i go about upgrading the card?
  7. If you scroll down in the link I posted before then you see all the upgrade options, price will update on the sidebar.
  8. Looking at the prices for the upgrades I would upgrade to the GTS450 on the top right they have a free upgrade on that to GTX550TI which is a new more powerful card. consider the upgrade to a 500 or 600watt PSU as well.
  9. Does that come with any word processing program he could use for schoolwork? or a monitor?
  10. Open Office 'productivity' suite
  11. rolli59 said:
    Looking at the prices for the upgrades I would upgrade to the GTS450 on the top right they have a free upgrade on that to GTX550TI which is a new more powerful card. consider the upgrade to a 500 or 600watt PSU as well.

    I did what you said. Can you tell me if this comes with any type of monitor? I also need software and programing for this. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to this. I am having a hard time.
  12. BGray842 said:
    I did what you said. Can you tell me if this comes with any type of monitor? I also need software and programing for this. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to this. I am having a hard time.

    It comes with Windows 7 no monitor, you can add a monitor and keyboard on the second page. I suggest Open office for the school projects above.
  13. johnnyq8 said:

    i pulled them up. What can I do for a monitor?
  14. BGray842 said:
    I did what you said. Can you tell me if this comes with any type of monitor? I also need software and programing for this. I am pretty illiterate when it comes to this. I am having a hard time.


    Not it does not come with a monitor so you'll have to buy one for 100-200 dollars.
  15. Hi,

    I am actually selling two computers located at Tom's classifieds section:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/101446-8-custom-quad-core-2ghz-ddr3-click-more-shipping
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/101445-8-custom-quad-core-0ghz-ddr3-click-more-shipping

    One is for $800 + Shipping and the other is for $550 + Shipping. We may be able to negotiate a better price but I think I can beat out these other computers you are attempting to buy online. The $550 computer doesn't have that good a graphics card BUT I can just put in the EVAG GTX 460 SE for maybe another $100 or so. Furthermore, these are not old computers the $800 one is BRAND NEW not even used once (or the parts for that matter) and the $550 one has been used for roughly a few months but is in EXCELLENT condition. Also I could install an OS (such as Windows 7) and other softwares such as Microsoft Office 2010 for FREE (but you cover the costs for the software). I am sorry if I am advertising here but I truly think one of my computers may be the solution for your budget. Again, we can negotiate some deals. Thanks!
  16. BGray842 said:
    i pulled them up. What can I do for a monitor?


    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=20&name=LCD-Monitors&Order=RATING

    Here is a link of some nice monitors, have any preference for price or size of the monitor?
  17. Oh and I am sorry for double post but I can add a 23" LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc for an extra $200 + Shipping for a full bundle all in great condition.
  18. rolli59 said:
    It comes with Windows 7 no monitor, you can add a monitor and keyboard on the second page. I suggest Open office for the school projects above.

    Would you suggest any monitor in particular?
  19. BGray842 said:
    Would you suggest any monitor in particular?

    I would buy a minimum 22" with resolution of 1680 x 1050 from that list they have one for 159 and another one for 175-20MIR=155.
  20. winner4455 said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=20&name=LCD-Monitors&Order=RATING

    Here is a link of some nice monitors, have any preference for price or size of the monitor?

    I was thinking 20-23 in. trying to keep my total price under $800
  21. rolli59 said:
    I would buy a minimum 22" with resolution of 1680 x 1050 from that list they have one for 159 and another one for 175-20MIR=155.

    Ok, i upgraded the video card, the power source and added the monitor you mentioned, i'm up to $859.00, any way you think i could drop a bit without jeopardizing the system?
  22. Sorry, would you like to work something out or not? If not that's fine and I'll try my best to give you advice as well!
  23. mgoon11 said:
    Hi,

    I am actually selling two computers located at Tom's classifieds section:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/101446-8-custom-quad-core-2ghz-ddr3-click-more-shipping
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/101445-8-custom-quad-core-0ghz-ddr3-click-more-shipping

    One is for $800 + Shipping and the other is for $550 + Shipping. We may be able to negotiate a better price but I think I can beat out these other computers you are attempting to buy online. The $550 computer doesn't have that good a graphics card BUT I can just put in the EVAG GTX 460 SE for maybe another $100 or so. Furthermore, these are not old computers the $800 one is BRAND NEW not even used once (or the parts for that matter) and the $550 one has been used for roughly a few months but is in EXCELLENT condition. Also I could install an OS (such as Windows 7) and other softwares such as Microsoft Office 2010 for FREE (but you cover the costs for the software). I am sorry if I am advertising here but I truly think one of my computers may be the solution for your budget. Again, we can negotiate some deals. Thanks!

    We only have $800.00 total to work with. I have to find a complete system for that, including os, some work program for his school work and a monitor.
  24. $800 total including shipping or without? Because I might be able to come up with a complete bundle offer that fits your budget - just tell me what's on your mind. Again, if nothing works out I'd be more than happy to still help you out!
  25. mgoon11 said:
    $800 total including shipping or without? Because I might be able to come up with a complete bundle offer that fits your budget - just tell me what's on your mind. Again, if nothing works out I'd be more than happy to still help you out!



    We put together $700.00 for his birthday. I am depending on his Godfather for another $100.00. So, we have a total, end of the day....$800.00 to work with. He really wants to play WoW on this. but he will also be doing his homework on it. Need a monitor, os, word program etc. But like I said, at the end of the day, we have $800.00 to work with. I told that to a dell tech on their chat, and he sent me quotes starting over $900.00, lol.
  26. Haha they always try to sell people more than they really need! I understand I'll see what I can put together and offer you. But also any preference on the OS, monitor, word program, etc.? I am pretty good with computers and I can easily install all of these things for you. Furthermore, if your son wants to play WoW you can actually get by with a lesser graphics card. You honestly don't need some of these newer beasts and I'm sure everyone here would agree. WoW, as strong as its been going is still a pretty old game actually.
  27. mgoon11 said:
    Haha they always try to sell people more than they really need! I understand I'll see what I can put together and offer you. But also any preference on the OS, monitor, word program, etc.? I am pretty good with computers and I can easily install all of these things for you. Furthermore, if your son wants to play WoW you can actually get by with a lesser graphics card. You honestly don't need some of these newer beasts and I'm sure everyone here would agree. WoW, as strong as its been going is still a pretty old game actually.



    I know nothing about windows 7, I have Vista on my laptop and he is used to this. He wants my cpu, lol, laptop cost me 3500 bucks, mega gaming system though with dual GForc 8700 cards, it's 3 years old and still rocks. Microsoft word would prolly be best, I think it's whats in the schools.
  28. Ok another few questions is perhaps Windows XP too old? I might have a copy somewhere that I can install for nothing and does the year of Microsoft Word/Office matter? I might also be able to come up with an older year for a lot less or nothing.
  29. my only concern about microsoft office is if he does something on a flash drive, will the school version recognize it or visa versa?
  30. To be honest it depends, including what version the school has. Generally speaking documents made or saved in the older formats will always work with newer versions. For example, if your son typed a report on Microsoft Word 2007 and then copied to USB, brought to school and etc, and the school has Microsoft Office 2010 it would work fine. As long as you save as older file versions they should be compatible with most things.

    I might be able to offer you the

    AMD Athlon II X4 Quad Core 3.0GHz with,
    Dual Channel 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM,
    A 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive,
    A LITE-ON 24X DVD Burner/Reader,
    And an EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 220 FTW 1GB 128-bit DDR3 Graphics Card.
    It furthermore has an OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Power Supply

    computer with a 23" LCD monitor with Windows XP and an old version of Microsoft Office for $700 + shipping. Even though the graphics card isn't as good, I can upgrade it to something better for maybe another $100 or so if you want which maxes out your budget of $800.
  31. mdsiu said:
    www.dell.com

    Bad recommendations.
  32. Misko195 said:
    Bad recommendations.



    Do you have any suggestions? I went into chat with a dell rep and told him i wanted to spend under 800, actually i should have capped it at $700.00. He sent me some quotes, the lowest was over $900.00.
  33. You can find an HP Pavilion p6720f Desktop for around $530 without monitor or video card (uses the HD4200 IGP).

    That's a lot of good stuff for $530 (plus tax).

    Once you snag your monitor you should be quite under budget, and ready to initiate Operation Carrot/Stick. Boy does good -- Boy&Papa upgrade computer together, have Big Fun and learn something along the way. First up: a simple video card (without power supply) upgrade. Boy does good for a few months --- Boy&Papa install new video card with power supply.

    It's all downhill from there :lol: by next Spring you & The Boy will be itching to build a new rig from the components in your old rig. The Fun will be the 840T (I believe it has AMD Turbo, too). The Big Fun will be unlocking it to six cores and learning to over-clock together on your new rig. I can see a CrossFire of that video card in your future new rig, too.

    [:jaydeejohn:5]
  34. BGray842 said:
    Hello,
    I'm trying to buy a gaming pc for my son. I have $700.00 to work with, can anyone help me please?



    The big problem will be that you need a better video card. You'd have to go to the link some one posted and configure a system. For modern games you need to spend at least $250 but any CPU available in CyberPowerPC gaming systems will work with the $250 GPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Product