Video card burned out, need new one! (and more...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reido

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I am not knowledgeable with computers so I would like to ask some questions regarding my desktop PC. (First, I will state my questions, then I will post my specs, budget range, etc.)

1. My graphics card burned out and I would like some opinions on which new one I should get for my current specs. (FYI: Burned out from playing Team Fortress 2)

2. The heatsink/fan on my processor fell off (while transporting the tower long distances). ~> I don't know anything about this, such as the "stuff" that you put on before placing the heatsink/fan over the processor.

3. When my computer was working, it never shutdown, and instead would power up after it "turned off" for about 2 seconds. Is this a power supply issue? If so, what new one do I need? (I don't even know the current power supply power) ~> If there is some way to tell on the power supply itself (i.e. the actual power "box"), please guide me to it. Otherwise, I will probably get a new one, and require assistance with that as well. ~> The reason why I can't check on the computer is because the heatsink/fan is disconnected, thus if I turned on the computer, it would overheat the processor in minutes.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I have my laptop, so I am in no rush to buy.

BUDGET RANGE: For a graphics card, less than ~$150 would be nice (I would prefer around $100 if possible). The power supply I have no idea (I suppose less than ~$80).

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mid to high (preferably high) settings gaming (Yes, I play computer games, but I don't know computer hardware T_T). Games such as Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, League of Legends, Vindictus, Starcraft 2, etc.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: My GPU is an nVIDIA GeForce [strike]8600 GTS.[/strike] (EDIT) 8800 GTS (apparently...) As for my power supply, [strike]I do not know (as mentioned above) and would like to know if I need a new one. (If I do not need a new one, I can check the power "box" itself, but I do not know if it is even labeled there).[/strike] (EDIT) it is an Antec Smart Power 500W.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: My CPU is an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz. My motherboard is an Abit IN9 32X-MAX LGA775 4 DDR2 DIMM RAM. My motherboard chipset is an nVIDIA nForce 680i SLI (C55XE). I believe I have 3GB ram (maybe 4GB). Also, I run on Windows XP SP2.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or any computer hardware store site. (Or any other site that offers cheap prices without being... sketchy)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have no preference. (Truthfully speaking, I have no preference because I know nothing about this.)

OVERCLOCKING: My GPU burned out, so does that mean it was OC too high? Or does that mean I need a better cooling system? Whatever the case, I just want an efficient and durable GPU. (i.e... maybe)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I do not know what these are, so... maybe.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My current monitor resolution supports 1280x1024, but I am not sure if it goes any higher than that.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would prefer a long lasting GPU since my last one burned out, probably from overheating.

I apologize for the limited info of my system specs and the vagueness of what I want, but I do not know much about computers.

Thank you in advance for looking through this thread,

John

Solution
Antec is actually a good brand. Unless that unit is starting to fail from age a 500w by them should handle your system plus any card you should consider. So I would just get a card for now. Replace the PSU only if it seems necessary once everything else is figured out. If you would prefer a GTX 460 I recommend this one;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127512

If it is the fan/heatsink that is missing a part I would just replace it. This looks like a good deal;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233014
FYI with good cooling like that you should be able to easily overclock your processor to 3.5ghz and beyond which is a good idea.

You can find the brand/model of your power supply on a chart on the side of the PSU when you open your computer's case. The PSU is the thing the power cord plugs into.
That said if you are getting a new card you probably do need a new PSU. I doubt your card died from overclocking(did you even overclock it?) It was probably just old; it happens. Ignoring the CPU issue for now it basically it sounds like you need a video card and a power supply and have $180-230 to spend. Fortunately your resolution is quite low so you don't need a particularly expensive video card. Something like the HD5770 or at most the GTX 460 768mb will be fantastic for that resolution. A power supply by a decent brand that can handle those cards and your system also isn't that expensive. I would suggest something like this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514493

The CPU fan/heatsink does need thermal paste between itself and the processor. It is likely still on either the cooler or the processor(it will be a gray sticky substance) but replacing it definitely couldn't hurt. If it "fell off" due to being transported though it is possible that either the cooler or the motherboard itself broke where they connect so you will have to check that out. If the motherboard is broken well, that's bad news as it will need to be replaced. If it is the cooler that is broken a new one can be had for $20-30.

reido

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Power Supply: Antec Smart Power 500W
Is this too low? Should I just upgrade to a 600W PSU?

Video Card (that burned out): 8800 GTS not 8600 GTS... I just checked the label of the GPU and it said 8800 GTS... which is strange because I recall checking on system specs it said 8600 GTS... but whatever, it is dead.

Anyways, I am missing a plastic pin/clip to lock the heatsink/fan into the motherboard. Could I just buy some new pins/clips or whatever those things are? I checked newegg and I saw some clip supports for sale, but I do not know if it would fit my stock heatsink/fan that came with the Intel E6750 CPU.

As for the GPU, I think I will go for the Radeon HD 5770 from newegg to get the combo deal, however, if there is a better deal with, say, the GTX 460 768mb, then I will lean towards that (I want this GPU to last for at least 3 years).

Antec is actually a good brand. Unless that unit is starting to fail from age a 500w by them should handle your system plus any card you should consider. So I would just get a card for now. Replace the PSU only if it seems necessary once everything else is figured out. If you would prefer a GTX 460 I recommend this one;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127512

If it is the fan/heatsink that is missing a part I would just replace it. This looks like a good deal;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233014
FYI with good cooling like that you should be able to easily overclock your processor to 3.5ghz and beyond which is a good idea.

Solution

reido

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
For now, I will go with jyjjy's options, but I am not going to buy them just yet. I really am hoping the prices will drop in the next month or so (again, not in any hurry to fix that heap).

Anyways, thank you guys!

Now, I just need to figure out how to overclock my processor when the time comes. ~> There is a tutorial for this on tom's hardware, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.