Athlon II X4 640 and DDR2 800

rawphd

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Can an Athlon II X4 640 run with DDR2 800, or does it require faster memory? My motherboard is the Asus M4A785-M with the AMD785g chipset.

I'm having trouble getting XP to recognize all four cores, and I'm wondering if the CPU/memory combination is the problem.

rawphd

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Thanks. I flashed to the latest BIOS (version 1006) without any luck. Maybe I should downgrade to the BIOS version they mention for the CPU, although you would think it would be supported in the latest version if it is supported at all.

jb6684

Distinguished
RAM type, size, or speed won't affect how many cores are seen.....

How do you know XP doesn't recognize all the cores? JUST hit CTRL-ALT-DEL; then start up the task manager and hit the Performance tab. There will be a separate graph for each CPU core under CPU Usage History....

OR, download & install CPU-Z and it will tell you how many "cores" on the CPU tab.....

rawphd

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. My overall problem is that when I install XP Pro SP3 with APIC enabled in BIOS, I always get a BSOD (No_More_IRP_Stack_Locations) after the first reboot. If I turn off APIC then XP will finish installation. However, no APIC means no multi-core and I get the Standard PC HAL (I've tried forcing the APCI Multiprocessor and even the MPS Multiprocessor HALS, but no luck). There is only one core present in Task Manager.

I don't think this is due to any faulty hardware. I can run Ubuntu from a LiveCD with no problems and with all 4 cores running. I've also done an overnight Memtest with no errors. There just seems to be a communication issue between XP and the BIOS. I've tried tweaking all kinds of BIOS settings (and I must have been through at least a dozen XP install attempts), but the only thing that gives me a successful install is with APIC disabled.

Dadiggle, I'll try the 1.8V settings on my RAM. I've saved tweaking the voltages for the last resort. I know it is pretty safe, but I'm always afraid I'm going to fry a component.

rawphd

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I've got an old Sempron (I actually had it in this board briefly, so I know it works). Maybe I can do an end-run around the XP install. I'll install XP with the Sempron and get all my drivers installed. Then, I'll swap the Sempron with the Athlon II X4. If I cross my fingers, maybe XP will recognize the hardware change and give me the APCI Multiprocessor HAL.

Any thoughts on this approach?