Physical defect or normal?

gunnygzuz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I recently bought a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.. Motherboard worked fine for about a day then died, so having it RMA'd and using my old one in the meantime.

I didn't notice this prior to mobo dying, and can't test it now without an AM3 socket mobo, but I saw an odd blemish on the CPU.

Is this normal (part of manufacturing) or did something happen to it (the "streak" running alongside the cover near the top):

03172011-001.jpg

CPU is: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz. (EDIT; Revision C3 in case it's relevant) Was not overclocked at all and temps were VERY safe, but motherboard did BSoD on me at random.

Just in case something happened I'd like to have the RMA complete when the new motherboard arrives, as opposed to waiting an extra week or so. I'm using an ancient rig while waiting on the mobo replacement and would like to be up and ready as fast as possible.

Solution
I'm pretty sure my AMD has something that looks like what yours has, and it's never given me any problems. I wouldn't worry if I were you.
The top is a metal heatspreader, it really doesnt matter too much what happens to it, its not the chip itself, you wouldnt be able to see a manufacturing defect with the chip because any defect would likely be a micron in width or less and encased in that heatspreader.

gunnygzuz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I'm making sure it isn't burn related. the BSoD was one of those dramatuic sparks and since the mobo wouldn't even POST. But since the cover is still shiny aside from that, I'm guessing it's just the soldering of the side to the top?

I've always had Intel until this CPU.. So I had to make sure. Basically; is that the result of a burn or simply a poor soldering job? I know the difference between inside and out of a CPU lol.. I'm up to date on technical details; but I've never bought AMD before so I'm not sure if it's poor soldering or a burn. By the way it's somewhat rough like it was sanded, so my money's on soldering but again.. Never had AMD before so wanted the opinion of an AMD user who does know for sure.

gunnygzuz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Alright, just wanted to make sure I didn't have an obvious RMA as I'm already outta patience with a single mobo RMA lol.

Thank you, much appreciated (God I sound like a hick when i say that -_-)