Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z68-V LE boot issue - no POST, no beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
November 23, 2011 10:25:27 AM

Hi, I got a quite annoying problem with my new configuration.

When i turn on the system it seems to do a fake boot, as every fan start spinning and the various LEDs are regularly lit, then it turns off and back on again.
After this fake boot the system remains powered, all fans spinning, but nothing is showing on screen and there are no beeps on the internal speaker.

This is the configuration:

Asus P8Z68-V LE
2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance Performance DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Intel i5 2500K
Cooler Master PSU GX 650W
Sapphire Radeon HD6870

I am starting to think that the fault may be on the PSU or the CPU.

This is what i have done so far:

- I have removed all the SATA peripherals (2 HDDs and 1 optical drive) and continued trying without these components.
- I have removed the video card to see if it was its fault, then i connected the DVI vable to the MoBo integrated graphics, and continued without discrete video card.
- I have tried to see if the CPU was correctly installed in the slot (yes, it was).
- I have verified the connection of the 24 EATX motherboard PSU connection and the 8 pin one.
- I have tried to remove both RAM sticks to see if the motherboard was responding. Yes, it tweeted like a chirp.
- I have tried to clear the CMOS

All of this has been done inside the case, so I'm starting to think that there may be a shortage somewhere under the motherboard (oh hell please!).
I'll test it this evening outside the case, just in ... case.

Anyway, I have not found any valid reference for this behavior (fake boot, boot with no beeps or POST) on the internet, so I'm trying everything that comes to my mind. Ideas anyone?

Thanks for any response.

PS: Also, my first post after the registration & years, of lurking, yay! Shame on me.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 187 V Motherboard
November 23, 2011 10:43:26 AM

Power supply is shot IMO. Try a known good unit without GPU.
December 2, 2011 12:19:05 PM

Hi -

Did you find a solution to your problem? I seem to have the same issue w/ my build ( about 2 months old). When booting up, the case lights flicker, and even the CD rom spins up and down. However, I don't get a signal to the monitor. However, if I do a hard reboot ( hold down the power), it seems to 'fix it'.

Memory: Ripsaw 8GB DDR3 1600
CPU: Intel Core i5 -2500K
CPU Fan: CoolMaster Hyper 212 Plus
Case: NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK
Power: Asus EarthWatts EA-650w 80+ Bronze
Mother Board: Asus P8Z68V-LE
Hard Drive: Raid 1, 500gb WD Caviar Blue 7200 SATA 6.0gb
CD Rom: Asus DVD RW DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
USB Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WN722N 150Mbps N

rezinomed said:

When i turn on the system it seems to do a fake boot, as every fan start spinning and the various LEDs are regularly lit, then it turns off and back on again.
After this fake boot the system remains powered, all fans spinning, but nothing is showing on screen and there are no beeps on the internal speaker.

Asus P8Z68-V LE
2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance Performance DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Intel i5 2500K
Sapphire Radeon HD6870

- I have removed all the SATA peripherals (2 HDDs and 1 optical drive) and continued trying without these components.
- I have removed the video card to see if it was its fault, then i connected the DVI vable to the MoBo integrated graphics, and continued without discrete video card.
- I have tried to see if the CPU was correctly installed in the slot (yes, it was).
- I have verified the connection of the 24 EATX motherboard PSU connection and the 8 pin one.
- I have tried to remove both RAM sticks to see if the motherboard was responding. Yes, it tweeted like a chirp.

All of this has been done inside the case, so I'm starting to think that there may be a shortage somewhere under the motherboard (oh hell please!).

Anyway, I have not found any valid reference for this behavior (fake boot, boot with no beeps or POST) on the internet, so I'm trying everything that comes to my mind. Ideas anyone?

Thanks for any response.

PS: Also, my first post after the registration & years, of lurking, yay! Shame on me.

Related resources
December 6, 2011 7:50:12 PM

I have a nearly identical issue as rezinomed with my new p8z68-v asus mobo.
Does a fake boot with the fans spinning, stops, comes back but no signal to monitor through integrated or GPU. No beets even if I unplug GPU 6 pins (usually mobos scream like crazy). No beeps at all, nothing to help determine the problem. (miss the LED error display on some other mobos).

Disconnecting components with no luck. All LEDs on board and case seem to work.
Don't know what I should return to New Egg, the mobo or the GPU.

C

rezinomed said:

Asus P8Z68-V LE
Intel i5 2500K
Sapphire Radeon HD6870

Thanks for any response.

December 7, 2011 12:39:38 PM

HI,
same problem with my new p8z86 v pro gen3,
No Logo, no POST, just windows starting image after around 25 sec, then system working with no prob.
December 7, 2011 5:08:18 PM

My problem has been solved. It was a problem with the 8 pin ATX power of the mobo. Once this was addressed and the proper power connections made the machine posted and runs well.

December 19, 2011 1:58:12 AM

If you get the double-fake-boot, no video and no beeps, your heatsink backplate might be touching the back of the motherboard causing a short. I have a P8Z68-V LE and I had a similar problem. The solution was to use the heatsink's included electrically-neutral plastic spacers between the motherboard and the backplate. That solved it for me.
February 15, 2012 7:12:51 PM

I had reboot problem with my ASUS p8Z68-v LE MB. The CUP would boot and after 2 seconds (1000, 1001, 1002) shutdown and then reboot. I checked the heat sink and fan although it seem too fast a reboot to be a heat sink problem.

It turned out to be lack of the auxilary 1x2 or 2x2 12 cDC power connector. The manual clearly states that the CPU will not boot without this auxiliary 12 vDC power connector in place. Note that some older power supplies have no auxilary 12 plugs, some have a 1x2 plug and some 2x2 plugs. They are required for the new Core i7 CPUs.

I have built up about 5 or 6 ASUS boards over the years with no problems.

Hope that this helps.
February 21, 2012 3:21:34 PM

ncase said:
My problem has been solved. It was a problem with the 8 pin ATX power of the mobo. Once this was addressed and the proper power connections made the machine posted and runs well.

What did you do to address it. Just changed the plugs?
Thx
February 22, 2012 8:43:50 AM

I'm having a similar issue with an asus p8z68-m pro. When trying to boot using the onboard graphics I get the same no post double boot, however I found a graphics card in another PC I could use to test and it booted fine whn plugged into this. Do you think this could be a power issue? I do have a spare psu which I might try. I'm assuming the fact that it boots with a external card means it is not a short (although I'm happy to be told I'm wrong). Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated

Asus P8Z68-M PRO S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 mATX
Intel Core i5-2550K 3.40GHz LGA1155 6MB
Patriot Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) Viper Xtreme Series PC3-15000 1866MHz CL9 Division 2 Edition
OCZ Technology 650W ZT Series Fully-Modular Power Supply
Pioneer BD-RW 12x SATA Black - Drive Only
February 25, 2012 3:08:29 AM

I've got the same issue with my z68 v-le in the beginning.It's because the TPU switch on the MB.It comes turned off by default.Maybe you have switched it on(Like me).I switched it off and the thing works normally now.Refer to the motherboard manual to locate the switch on the MB.
February 26, 2012 5:14:24 PM

Hello, Mobo Asus P8Z68-M Pro, CEIL Corsa 2x4Gb 1600 Mhz ram bundel and Intel 2500-k cpu. Mother board with only ram and cpu. Power on all led light up no error, no beep sound and no display (POST).

First bootup restarted, after that no power on mother board reset cmos, after that board had power. Tested psu that worked fine, tested ram that worked fine. Took Mother board out, same problem. So must be mother board or cpu. This is brand new equipment!! Please help.
March 1, 2012 5:15:29 AM

same problem as well..

ok first checks

1. Did you connect the second power supply cable (4x2) pin on the top left connector it's blue
2. is the main power connector all the way in (mine had a few pins ) not fully pushed in so..
3. Re-seat CPU
4. Test PS ? is it good, jumper mine and connected to led fan (was ok)
5. check cpu with different system,..ok?

I did all, it was #1 & 2
April 6, 2012 11:41:50 AM

Hi All,

just had a very similar problem with a Z68-V LE. For me it was caused by (accidentally) trying to put the system into standby from linux. After that, it first went into an infinite power-on/power-off loop. After I cut the power, it would no longer boot up (fans/hd running, no beep, mem-check led off etc.). For me it was solved by doing a CMOS reset.
Apart from that, the board sometimes does a 'double startup' when I power it on (comes up without video, powers down again, then boots normally). Once it is up, it runs completely stable with a i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz.
Apparently there are quite a lot of possible causes for this kind of behavior with this board... trying a bios update to 3702 now.

Simon
April 7, 2013 8:46:58 AM

I am having the same issue, though I've had my PC for nearly two years.

At about the same time I moved the PC and installed a xonar DG sound card. After that I started having boot problems, with the CPU led showing red, all fans working but no screen input and it just hangs like that.

I tried every combination of removing the sound card and drivers, graphics card, checking plugs and connections, CPU position etc and the only way I can get a boot is if I remove all power and the CMOS battery and then set the BIOS to default or reboot. It will then run fine until I turn it off and then when re-booting it's back to red CPU led.

I've now managed three successful restarts having removed the Xonar drivers and running with just HDD and RAM, with sound and video cards removed. Am in the process of updating BIOS, will let you know how it goes.

UPDATE
The BIOS was the latest version so I skipped an update and tried re-booting - everything is back to normal boot. Am now going to try the card once and double check there's no conflict with the on board sound that is causing the issue.
!