Sign in with
Your question

OC G0 Q6600 to 3.2GHz - Temperature readings (+some more questions)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 17, 2011 9:16:16 PM

Hello, I built my computer a good few years ago now, but for whatever reason (probably as i have my finals coming up) I have decided to overclock my processor from stock speeds - this is my first time overclocking.

Anyway, my first change was to set FSB to 355 x 9, I set vCore to 1.3000, RAM timings to 4-4-4-12 at 1:1, 2V.

I am currently stress testing with prime95 (2 hours in), and everything seems to be okay. I am using 4 programs to monitor temperature (!) and they are all giving different readings (speedfan and everest are ~10 degrees lower than Hardware Monitor and CoreTemp) so i have a few questions:

1) Why are the temperatures different / which one seems closest to the true value? (see image)
2) Do these load temperatures seem alright?
3) Why is the core voltage shown as 1.256V in CPU-Z, and is this the actual voltage going to the CPU rather than the bios setting?
4) I am happy with the performance from 3.2GHz, so after I find this stable, should I decrease the vcore and test again (to get lower temps)?
5) Is it safe to enable the setting in BIOS, CI5 (cant remember the name, but it reduces the FSB multiplier when not under load)?

Thanks a lot! ;) 

System:

Q6600 G0 Stepping
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Cooler
Asus P5Q-E
Patriot 4GB (2x2GB) Extreme Performance PC2-6400C4 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
HIS Radeon HD5770 1GB GPU (Used to run 8800GTX until it broke, so this is the newest component)
Samsung F1 1TB HDD
Tagan 1000W PSU (cant remember model number)
Lian Li V1000 Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

EDIT: sorry the Everest temps weren't displayed but they are 52 50 49 49 for core 1 2 3 4
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2011 9:56:43 PM

1) Different software. The only way to get a 'true' reading on the CPU is to enter the BIOS. The software temps can be based on personal reasons. I would, for the sake of safety, go with the one with the highest thermal reading.

2)They seem safe. Never go above 70 degrees centigrade.

3)That is the actual voltage load at that moment. If the CPU needs more electricity, the BIOS,( which is rated at 1.3 Volts by you), will allow the vCore to go to 1.3 volts load.

4)You could, but you run the risk of a Crash Error Report, or what the computer community calls a "Blue Screen of Death'.

5) If you can enable the BIOS to change the FSB setting, go ahead and experiment. Warning; Can cause a BSoD.

a c 127 à CPUs
March 20, 2011 10:39:07 PM

Speedfan is the one I like the most because it has the 10c difference between the B3 and G0. The TJMax xhanged by -10c on the G0s.

I remember HWMonitor and Core temp showing my Q6600 idleing at 45c with a 1.235 VCore yet a thermal monitor was showing 35c.

Your temps are fine. I have a Zalman 9700 and I get about 50-55c depending on ambient.
!