RAM problem or something else?

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
This is a weird dilemma. I have an Asus P67 Delux board that I have been using with an i5-2500k and 4gb of 1600mhz Gskill ram. Its been working just fine. This board is actually a replacement board I got while my normal board was being RMA'd. My wife's computer has an Asus ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO with a Phenom II x4 955 cpu and using my old Corsair vengance 8gb RAM (basically her old ram and my mobo died around the same time. Let her have my ram while my mobo was being rma's and I bought new ram that I put in my system with the intent of putting it in hers). We both have Windows 7 btw.

Ok so I get my board back and I go ahead and switch the Corsair ram in her comp with the new Gskill ram I bought (that had been working perfectly in my system). Now her system won't boot up. I get constant BSOD, including 0x00000024, D1, and 8E errors. I tried putting the corsair RAM back into her system and it boots up fine (if only a good bit slower than normal. It hangs a bit at the STARTING WINDOWS screen with the colors fly in.) I tried different slots on the motherboard (still keeping them in dual channel) and while it did help a bit cause I was able to boot into windows, as soon as I clicked anything, i would get the blue screen again. What the hell is going on here? This Gskill Ram had been working just fine in my system for the past 3-4 weeks. I have also run the latest memtest and it passed with 0 errors.

Anyone?

It's possible that the G skill RAM is just not compatible with the M4A88TD-V EVO. Is it on the QVL for the motherboard? If not, Does the Gskill website say the ram will work with that motherboard?If the answer to both questions is 'No", then you may have to play around with the speed, timings & voltages of the ram in order to get it to work. Will the Gskill ram not work in your new board? I'd say leave the Corsair RAM in your wife's MB and use the Gskill in your system..

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I honestly haven't tried the Gskill ram in my motherboard. I did bring it to work and used it in an Asrock G88 Extreme3 board and it worked fine (that's where I ran emetest from). And yes it should work with this motherboard. The reason being is that the memory that I mentioned that died on my wife's mobo (around the same time as my mobo) was another 4gb of Gskill ram.

This is her old RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

This is the new RAM i bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

I am not overclocking the RAM at all, its only running at what the mobo will recognize it as. This is the Corsair RAM that I have been using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

So I basically went from the blue G.Skill to the the corsair to the Red Gskill but the red isn't working for me on my wife's comp. grgrr. Any other ideas people? And thanks again for looking and any responses.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I have read around for possible problems, and one is that the bios might still be looking for the 8gb for the corsair ram and that a clearing of the CMOS should fix the problem. Being that I am not at home, I can't try this, but think its worth holding on to the RAM and trying that or just RMA it now? (though it shows that there is 0 errors through memtest?)