Computer build advice

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
ok first time gaming rig. i really dont know what to get to be very honest. i am up to date with all the parts but have no perspective of their performance. im looking roughly in the i5 (quad core) or phenom II 955 sort of area.
im looking to go with 2/3 screens. as for budget im saving so i intend to save until I have enough basically.

a quiet (preferably silent) case would be excellent.

as for the screens im looking at around 18/19", LED if possible. preference goes to three of them (DVI)

country of origin: uk so preference goes to ebuyer.com

as for useage, as i stated, gaming, mainly flight sim, racing and mmo's (ive checked all the games i play support a minmum of three monitors) also a lot of cad so 6-8 gb of ram minimum please!

as for the speakers ive found a really good deal for a set of logitech x540's for like 40 pounds!

not needed, keyboard mouse os.

as im going to be saving for this rig, ideally the lower the better but at the same time i dont mind waiting a little while and getting something thats going to last. Im going to need to rely on this system for about 3-4 years as an absolute minimum! hopefully longer. currently i have aproximately 500 with an additional 80 each calender month going towards the savings.

I look forward to your opinions!

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
sorry i forgot to mention, im looking to get two 1tb samsung f3 drives in raid 0, that much im sure about. not sure about an ssd, possibly a later upgrade and then ill do a clean install and use it as a boot drive.

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
sorry about the number of posts I keep forgetting parts. 18.5" monitors preferable but for resolution and awsomeness 20" as an absolute maximum! i simply dont have the desk space. highest resolutions preferable.

currently i have aproximately 500

I think peeps are confused to help because you have to elaborate:

Would u want 3 x LCDs + a capable tower go give ya playable frames on those? 500 quid is not near gonna cut it if so lol

What i would do though in your shoes is to buy in a modular fashion i.e

955BE + cheap CFable mobo and one HD 6850 1st
One 18.5-20" 1600 x 900 LCD

then work towards either more LCDs or 2nd HD 6850 :p

Actually for a 3 x 1600/900 (4800 x 900) Eyefinity set up HD 6850CF is excellent $$/frames
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/ATI_Radeon_6870_6850_-_Featured_Review_Page_5

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

no I understand, i did put that I intend to save up still so im basically looking for a goal to save to but i dont really know what to do. Like i said, I am able to put 80 pounds in each month after everything else, thats how much i can put to it, i just need to know what to save to.............

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
not 6870's? also what about proc? you think its worth getting the 955 over waiting for sandybridge as im still saving anyway?

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
fair enoug. i think ill still wait a little longer and get a higher end mobo and so on
and probably a slightly higher power supply, will make it easier to add in the second card later on, last thing i want to do is end up with a power supply thats not powerfull enough then ending up shelling out for a new one!

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
haha ohh thank you, you too :) think i might get as much as posible for my cash before new years eve, beat the vat rise here, dunno where youre based but here in the uk the bastard government are raising vat to 20%. theyre a government for the rich and only the rich! :/ not happy, next year i got uni fee's to worry about aswell!................ ahh well, not to turn this into a political rant, once again, merry christmas, and happy new year! :)

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
also one other flaw, I intended to add water cooling blocks in the distant futur (if you havent seen them already look up the coolit omni, it has exchangeable plates for different cards so even if i change card i can still use the cooler system) anyway the point is, I intended to cut half of the bracket off and make it single slot with the water block. its not possible to do that with the 6850 cards, your reccomendations?