Can my Power supply cope?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Socket
  • Shutdown
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 17, 2011 9:56:35 PM

My pc just randomly shut down i dont know if its because of the socket on my wall which is basicly hanging off lol

But i was wondering can my Psu cope?
It is a OCZ 700W ATX StealthXtreme
My GFX is the 4890 which is recommeded for 500w
Could it be because i was powering the card via using male to female splitters connecting to my PSU?

More about : power supply cope

a c 97 ) Power supply
March 18, 2011 1:11:15 AM

Your PSU is a good brand and 700 Watts is adequate. Do not use splitters to connect graphics cards to the PSU - dedicated power connectors are better. Check your wall outlet and make sure that it is fine.
March 18, 2011 1:56:07 AM

if your cpu is shutting down/restarting but still has power and its beeping(sound), or has led light in it , then your video card or motherboard either has the problem,
but when the cpu shuts down totally and wont power up, no sound beeping no led light , your psu is the problem.
your psu is very fine, its a branded 700w so it can run any powerful system.
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 18, 2011 7:23:17 AM

2267307,3,849602 said:
... but when the cpu shuts down totally and wont power up, no sound beeping no led light , your psu is the problem./quotemsg]
Simplistic and inaccurate. No boot/no beep can be bad or overloaded PSU, bad motherboard, bad CPU (but unlikely), or a shorted component plugged into either the PSU or the motherboard. No motherboard power LED (actually indicates that you have standby power) usually means bad PSU but it could mean a problem with input power such as problem with wall outlet, AC power strip, or PSU power cord.

You can also have the standby LED on and the rest of the PSU dead.
a c 97 ) Power supply
March 18, 2011 11:05:55 AM

This is one way to determine what capacity PSU you need: http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/

I am very conservative and like to provide for future expansion, therefore I would add about 15% to these results.
March 18, 2011 1:07:25 PM

okay so i bought this psu yesterday could it be faulty?
As now its completely died and wont power on, i didnt have this issue with my old
psu and that was win power LOL.
a c 97 ) Power supply
March 18, 2011 1:19:05 PM

scottmack1 said:
okay so i bought this psu yesterday could it be faulty?
As now its completely died and wont power on, i didnt have this issue with my old
psu and that was win power LOL.

Try the PSU paperclip test to check the functionality of the PSU. Explained here: http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-c...
!