Help! PC won't restart!

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I recently upgraded a PC for a client and since then, It won't restart. If I power down and power up again, it's fine, but If I try to restart (or even use the reset button), I just get a blank screen/No signal! The thing is, I flashed the BIOS to the latest one, since this was a requirement for the updated CPU. Below are the old specs, plus the stuff I used for the upgrade.

CPU Was Pent D E2140 @ 1.6GHz Now Pent D E6700 @ 3.2GHz

RAM Was 2x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 Now 4x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800

MOBO Intel DG33TL (G33 Express Chipset)

GFX Was Leadtek 512mb 8600 GT Now EVGA 1GB GTS 450 SC

PSU Was Aopen 400w Now Cooler Master 500 Watt

Everything is connected up as it should be, bios was updated with the correct update and the PC works like a bomb!

But why won't the machine restart or reset? :(

Even if I make changes in the Bios, and "Exit saving changes", I have to switch the PC off and on before it works again.

The other thing I've also tried is removing the CMOS battery to Clear the CMOS, but it also doesn't help.

Temps are fine too. Is there something I'm missing here? I've heard of machines that don't shut down correctly, but
this is the first machine I've worked with that shut's down perfectly, but won't restart!

Please Help!

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Tried replacing the CMOS Battery (Have loads and a battery tester) That doesn't help.
Removed the GPU and Ram and tried them individually, also doesn't help.

The problem is most likely BIOS related. Perhaps even an issue with the new E6700 CPU.

Any other advise also welcome.

Thanks.

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Just an update for you guys... I found out the problem is a compatibility issue with the CPU and the Intel DG33TL Motherboard.

If I put the E2140 back in, it reboots fine. It just won't reboot If I have the E6700 in place. I'm running the latest BIOS (0572) as well, so I have no idea what else to do, but just live with it.

The issue is too minor to replace the board, it's just a little irritating!

Also, Intel stopped support for this motherboard in June, so I'm screwed, there won't be any more updates. :(