Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recommend a monitor for dual R6870's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2010 3:26:19 PM

I am nearly done choosing my parts for my first PC build. I just need some input on one certain thing. I need to know what monitor would pair up well with dual R6870's. I would like to keep the monitor around $300 U.S. if at all possible. The one I am looking at is the Samsung PX2370. Would this work?

Also, would it be advisable to wait for the new 69XX series? I plan on playing some high demanding games such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Witcher 2 both on maxed out. Let me now. You all know about this stuff way more than I ever will.

Edit: sorry I didn't follow the rules for posting as stated in the sticky. I somehow missed that.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 3:54:27 PM

jakebaker13 said:
I am nearly done choosing my parts for my first PC build. I just need some input on one certain thing. I need to know what monitor would pair up well with dual R6870's. I would like to keep the monitor around $300 U.S. if at all possible. The one I am looking at is the Samsung PX2370. Would this work?

Also, would it be advisable to wait for the new 69XX series? I plan on playing some high demanding games such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Witcher 2 both on maxed out. Let me now. You all know about this stuff way more than I ever will.

Edit: sorry I didn't follow the rules for posting as stated in the sticky. I somehow missed that.

Your gpu setup should be more than enough power to max out games and aa at 1920 X 1080 also they perform a lot better than the 5 series as far as tesselation and dx 11 is concerned so you should be more than good to go. So basically yeah the 6900 series will be more powerful as they are gonna be the replacements for the 5870 and 5970 but with 2 6870s you will have plenty of gpu power imo. They are powerful cards in their own right and 6900 series could be released before the holidays but nothign is confirmed and it could be longer, as there performance is all speculative where the 6800 series actually exists and it is a great product. Waiting can never hurt if you can put up with it but how much more performance for your dollar that you will see is yet to be seen. Bottom line I would go 6870 crossfire, in fact im thinking about going the same route myself

If you are going to stay with a 1080p monitor, than I would go with a samsung or led with a low response time (ie 2 ms) and a high contrast ratio, for me these are important specs to look at. I have been very happy with my 22" LG so I will reccomend a 1080 p monitor to you::

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which runs a little over 200

the problem is that the 30", 1600p monitors are all over 1000 which is just not worth it, (to me at least) so go with the nicest 22-24" 1920X1080 monitor with a low response time and high contrast ratio such as the one that is listed above and that can be had for around 200 which is reasonable.

Oh also that Samsung you listed in your original post would be an excellent choice but you can probly get something cheaper that is comparable
Score
October 25, 2010 3:59:11 PM

jjb8675309 said:
unless you are going for a 30" 2560X1600 monitor than those gpus together will be overkill for a 22-24" 1080p monitor so I would at least go for a 30" which will probly bring you over that 300 dollar mark but I mean you are already dropping around 500 on gfx cards so you should expect to spend a bit more on a super high res monitor which usually starts at 30" with a native res of 2560X1600 or 1600p. If you are going to stay with a 1080p monitor, than I would go with a samsung or led with a low response time (ie 2 ms) and a high contrast ratio, for me these are important specs to look at. I have been very happy with my 22" LG so I will reccomend a 1080 p monitor to you::

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which runs a little over 200

the problem is that the 30", 1600p monitors are all over 1000 which is just not worth it, (to me at least) so go with the nicest 22-24" 1920X1080 monitor with a low response time and high contrast ratio such as the one that is listed above and that can be had for around 200 which is reasonable.

Oh also that Samsung you listed in your original post would be an excellent choice but you can probly get something cheaper that is comparable

Would you suggest just the single 6870 then? I sit pretty close to the screen so anything over 20" is a bit much for me.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 4:05:55 PM

jakebaker13 said:
Would you suggest just the single 6870 then? I sit pretty close to the screen so anything over 20" is a bit much for me.

I mean it falls somewhere between a gtx 470 and a 5870 so IMO one card is just not enough power anymore you would be getting close to 50-60 fps in most games depending, but newer demanding games often require a little more power to run. People might disagree with me but i would go crossfire route if you really wanna be able to max everything otherwise im sure there will be a game or two that you play that will need to be reduced as game demands continue to increase every year. Why not just buy one and see how you like the performance then if you feel you need more power pick another one up down the road (maybe they will be cheaper at that point) thats the beauty of being able to xfire

also if you are going for a resolution less than 1920X1080 than a single 6870 will be more than fine imo
October 25, 2010 4:11:28 PM

jjb8675309 said:
I mean it falls somewhere between a gtx 470 and a 5870 so IMO one card is just not enough power anymore you would be getting close to 50-60 fps in most games depending, but newer demanding games often require a little more power to run. People might disagree with me but i would go crossfire route if you really wanna be able to max everything otherwise im sure there will be a game or two that you play that will need to be reduced as game demands continue to increase every year. Why not just buy one and see how you like the performance then if you feel you need more power pick another one up down the road (maybe they will be cheaper at that point) thats the beauty of being able to xfire

also if you are going for a resolution less than 1920X1080 than a single 6870 will be more than fine imo

Excellent advice. Thank you.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 4:12:54 PM

jakebaker13 said:
Excellent advice. Thank you.

your very welcome select me as best answer if you feel so inclined and you are satisfied with this info. Thanks and have a good week
Score
October 25, 2010 4:14:08 PM

Best answer selected by jakebaker13.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2010 4:14:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!