Makoman

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I am try to perform an asus p5b-vm bios update so I can slap in a Quadcore proc. The current Bios on the system is American Megatrends ver. 0410-00.ROM. I have found and downloaded the newest version of the BIOS from Asus's website, ok until there.... Problem is when I try to use the EZ flash tool in the BIOS, it says the new bios is imcompatible with the current version. I have downloaded Asus's update utility, same result... I have booted the box into FreeDos and used AMI's flash utility, it says that the BIOS updates successfully, but when I check the version, it's still 0410-00.ROM. I have looked around a bit and it seems that the version of BIOS on this box may be an engineering version. At this point I want to just blow the old version away so I can get Asus's latest BIOS on there.... Anybody have any insight?makohotrod@yahoo.com

Here is your bios files: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5BVM/#download. Did you disable any "boot block" or "virus protection" settings in your bios before flashing? Also windows firewall? If not, try again. If this isn't your board, then maybe your system is oem. Also try to find "ez flash 2" bios flash program on asus website. It may work better.

Makoman

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, I had found those updates, problem is when used with ez flash 2 bios flash program, it says they are incompatible... Where is the boot block setting in BIOS? ans if it is oem, what then?

Makoman

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks again for the reply, I'll give this a shot.... kinda frustrating, Asus board, AMI BIOS, can't get the manufacturer's BIOS on the board.... There's got to be a way to blow away the existing BIOS and get Asus's on there.....

I would sell the board and ram on craigslist and move to a ddr3 board, with ram so cheap. Frys has 16 gb of 1333 ddr3 for only $30 after rebate this friday at midnight. There's a guy selling a q6600 for only $50 or $60 in anandtech's for sale forum. Check your current bios file and see if it will run this cpu.