burble56

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
I currently have a Intel Quad Core q8300 cpu.
My budget is $100-$200
Preferred Sites
Newegg.com
Amazon.com

Also preferred: Something with sandy bridge

I'm looking for a cpu that will REALLY boost my gaming experience.
If you have a really good recommendation, and it's over the budget, I'll still take it into consideration.

Solution
ASRock is owned by Asus so yes they are great for the "Bang for your buck"

Also do not overlook MSI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582&cm_re=P67-_-13-130-582-_-Product

Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231427&cm_re=P67-_-20-231-427-_-Product

I remember on release weekend the 2500K and that MSi board i linked had a combo for 50 dollars off
MSI aint good..it is worthy but far too many problems to start recommending it to people..

tecmo34

Administrator
Are you upgrading your complete system, as the SB CPU's are not compatible with the LGA 775 socket (SB is LGA 1155). There really isn't a CPU worth the upgrade on an LGA 775 socket for you IMO, unless you get a good deal on the Q9550. You will need to save up more money to make the jump to a SB setup.

burble56

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011

So what mobo should I upgrade to, recommendations? Ignore the budget, just need some good recommendations

burble56

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
Guys I know I haven't been that descriptive, but I have been planning on buying a ASROCK P67 Extreme 4 Mobo and a i5 2500k... any recommendations other than my choice?

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
ASRock is owned by Asus so yes they are great for the "Bang for your buck"

Also do not overlook MSI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582&cm_re=P67-_-13-130-582-_-Product

Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231427&cm_re=P67-_-20-231-427-_-Product

I remember on release weekend the 2500K and that MSi board i linked had a combo for 50 dollars off
MSI aint good..it is worthy but far too many problems to start recommending it to people..

Solution

burble56

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011

So none of them outperform the other brands? Nothing special about any of them? I'm trying to hold off till saturday to purchase the parts..

TopCatHost

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'm just going to jump in here. Seeking general advice for a first time builder. I have what I think are pretty good quality components:

AMD Phenom II X4 840, Thermaltake mid tower Doker care, Inland 600W ATX black (gold series) Power supply and 8 GB (2 x4GB) 1333MHz Corsair Memory.

I have two planned uses for my built from scratch computer:

1) I need it toi function as a server, and want to know about (nit expensive) but good enough hard drives.

2) I am following a set of specifications which call for a least a Duo Core + (I got a quad) with AMD vituliazation (theres just no way to spell that correctly) and at least 2 MHz speed and 4 GB + Ram (these are specs for a control panel.

The motherboard looks kind of small: Asus M4N68T and I am worried that the 600 Watt power supply might be too much, but:

I also need to build a Hypervisor, this one needs an 4 quad minimum and I think above 3MHz. So I picked up a Gigabyte 88oGM-UD2H and this thing looks like a real "mother of a board" so I am thinking that will be my Hypervisor board.

2nd concern is the hard drives have to be set up for Raid O for the control panel. I dont want to gage my purchase by cost (in others dont want to just spend the most money to get the best), but I dont want to buy something that is bound to fail b/c its poor quality!

Raid 0 is pretty heavy demand on the disk drives. I also can not really imagine that these drives have to be up like 24hrs a day to be a server (I was thinking I will give my drives a day off 1x per week)

I heard that some of the "surveillance" quality drives can never actually be powered down. I also think I saw a drive on the internet it was either 320GB or 500GB and it was a surveillance disk drive rated for Raid O.

I just need a little guidance as a novice builded is the case and power supply too good for the control panel. Should I use the AMD Quad core in some cheaper case and get like a 6 core 1050 AMD processor for the Gigabyte mother board.

I want to buy the best I can afford but I really want to try to finish the two computers off with just another $400-$600 or so. (Processor, memory still need some good drives.)

The drives I saw looked like a great deal and I am think I'm better off buying them online because my local microcenter does not seem to have much of a selection of Raid rated drives. Also I though it might be smarter starting off with 2 -320 GB or maybe the 2-500Gb would be ideal for concerns of maintenance routines and defrag.

Also, the control panel was going to be my 1st build if I just want to finish this one 1st, I will only need a good pair of drives for Raid 0. Also can this function as a server even with the raid function always on.

Apologies if I landed on the wrong thread. If an admin can and wants to move this I'm cool with that. Just need to get an idea of what kind of stress a server is up against will be using unbunto.

^You'll want to create your own thread on this and I'll be happy to help you out. "Jumping in here" detracts attention from the original poster's problem, which is the focus of this thread. That said, I can't resist adding in at least some comments.
You might want to consider raid 0+1 for redundancy and speed. But if you are willing to sacrifice speed, 3 drives in RAID 5 will be excellent. Even if one fails, all you have to do it replace it and you lose no data due to the raid 5. I have never heard of "raid rated drives" and I run my consumer-grade WD green and black drives 24-7.
You say you want it to function as a server, but that is very vague. My desktop acts as a file server and I've been considering having a VM on it act as a web server too. There are many different uses and needs for servers. You haven't even given a good reason as to why you want RAID zero.
You also say "hypervisor board", A term I have never heard. A hypervisor has to do with virtualization and has nothing to do with hardware.

So, delete your post, create a new thread with this in it and pm me a link so I can find it and help you further.

TRENDING THREADS