Sign in with
Your question

Switch comparisons and Reviews

Last response: in Networking
June 10, 2010 6:32:07 PM

Does anyone know of a review or benchmarking site which compares switches?

I have a Dlink DGS-1008d and I am wondering if it is capable of providing more than 100MBytes/s bandwidth (assuming the theoretical max of gigabit is 125MB/s).

Is there somebody with good enough hardware (ie computers with RAID 0 or SSD's that read and write greater than 125MB/s. NICs which can handle near 125MB/s. etc.) to test these gigabit switches to see if one is better than the other and tell me whether this will cause a limitation?
June 13, 2010 5:55:50 AM

adampower said:
Does anyone know of a review or benchmarking site which compares switches?

I have a Dlink DGS-1008d and I am wondering if it is capable of providing more than 100MBytes/s bandwidth (assuming the theoretical max of gigabit is 125MB/s).

Is there somebody with good enough hardware (ie computers with RAID 0 or SSD's that read and write greater than 125MB/s. NICs which can handle near 125MB/s. etc.) to test these gigabit switches to see if one is better than the other and tell me whether this will cause a limitation?

Switches are built according to specifications of performance. They never say "Up To" a certain speed on the wired ports, they Do work at that speed.
One brand may throw in more features than another, but in throughput, they're all about the same.

You have a D-Link and I hope it never dies because D-Link has to be the worst company in the world to deal with if you need to return something under warranty.
m
l
June 14, 2010 3:58:59 PM

Thank you. Of course it makes sense they should all perform similarly. I guess there may be some difference in features and performance to power ratio etc.

As to D-Link. I hope I never have to deal with ANY warranty related to this type of equipment. "did you have power conditioners in line?" "is it plugged in?" "What type of cabling are you using?" "NIC in the computer any good?" I can't imagine fighting for hours over a $50 switch but I can see it happening.

thanks again. Next time I will attempt to apply common sense first.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 5:10:51 PM

Most 5/8 port switches *should* be able to handle close to peak performance on all ports.

In a small network, your biggest issue will be your network cards and harddrives. You mentioned SSDs, so make sure you get a good NIC, like an Intel.

I have a Netgear 3700 router and my Win7 machine can transfer ~110MB/sec over the LAN with my Intel NIC and it only uses about 1.5% kernel CPU. I might be able to transfer faster then 100MB/s, but I have a standard platter HD and it only gets those speeds on un-fragmented files near the beginning of the disk.
m
l
June 16, 2010 6:03:47 PM

That's awesome. Thanks Kewlx25. Just wondering if anyone has achieved greater than 100MB/s (or even reached that level) and if the switch may be holding things up.

I've read up on NICs a little and it seems to me Intel far outpaces the rest. That being said the speeds are close. Mostly the cpu usage of realtek/marvel/other NICs is MUCH greater. I will upgrade any 'onboard non-intel nics' to pcie intel. Especially in my NAS.
m
l
!