Invalid Format - External Monitor - Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
So last night I got installed my new hard drive along with a fresh copy of windows 7(64-bit) on my laptop. After updating my drivers, I hooked up my external monitor(23" Vizio 1920x1080 HDTV) via VGA, and had no problem getting the external monitor to display my desktop.

Then I ran into a problem. I can no longer get my external monitor to display any resolution higher than my laptops native res. (1440x900). I've had it running 1920x1080 for the last 4 months but now for some reason when ever I try to up the resolution to 1920x1080 in either display settings or Nvidia Control Panel all I get is the error "Invalid Format" that flashes on my external monitor.

Possibly it could be that I was running Vista 64-bit before, and now that I've installed Win7 it doesn't want to work properly.

I've also gathered some interesting info about the refresh rates. When the laptop display is primary, it's rate is 59Hz while the Vizio is at 60Hz, but when I put the Vizio as the primary display, both refresh rates are 60Hz.

Because of this I attempted to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel, making the resolution 1920x1080 and the refresh 59Hz to match the laptop's display. Of course, "Invalid Format" :fou: . I've tried unplugging and plugging back in the vga cable, even switching ends desperate to find a solution.

Win7 Display Settings:
Main Display - Vizio
Res- 1440x900
Show Desktop only on 2(Vizio)

Nvidia Control Panel Settings are the same.
GPU: Nvidia 9800m GTS

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any idea's for resolving this issue!!!

Thanks, amk09

Status
Not open for further replies.