lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I was looking into CPU's recently and I am wanting to know what advantage would it be to change over to Intel as my chip.....My challenge question is would it be beneficial for gaming to go with Intel I5/I7 or is the Phenom II X4/X6 plenty enough CPU to not create a bottleneck....I know this has been ask before on here somewhere I just couldn't find one that answered my query

Solution
The higher your res, the less impact the cpu has, as the video card is nearly 85% of the performance equation at even 1080p, and 93% at 2560x1600...; there is, however, decent scaling at 1280x1024, which is why this res is sometimes chosen in cpu/mb benchmarks, which remove the video card bottle neck intentionally.

Many are under the mistaken impression that the higher the res, the cpu somehow has *more* involvement. It does not.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
you can usually eliminate all cpu bottle necks with a good quad core with a good oc, like a 955be or i5-760. You should experience bottlenecking with a high end sli/cf is your oc is high enough.

The higher your res, the less impact the cpu has, as the video card is nearly 85% of the performance equation at even 1080p, and 93% at 2560x1600...; there is, however, decent scaling at 1280x1024, which is why this res is sometimes chosen in cpu/mb benchmarks, which remove the video card bottle neck intentionally.

Many are under the mistaken impression that the higher the res, the cpu somehow has *more* involvement. It does not.

Solution
If you will run a single GPU, it probably does not matter all that much. For some reason, SLI configurations seem to be bottlenecked by AMD systems; the article is here on Tom's, but it did not go in to "why," i.e. CPU vs. chipset vs. something else.