I7 K series Quad Core or Amd II X6?

My current system is the one in the sig but my dad would like to buy it for his office for $700, but I keep the 1TB Caviar Black and the GTX 260. I would have altogether to spend towards the new rig about $1200. I'd use the 1TB HDD since it has all my movies and videos. So for my new rig, I was wanting a Sandy Bridge i7 2600K or a 875K and overclock it to 4GHz. Or get a X6 the 1055t or 1075t and overclock that to a 3.4-.6? Which would be better? I do light gaming, not a hard-core gamer. I usally watch a lot of movies and stuff. My Overall CPU usage on my current i7 is 5% at idle and 30% under MY Max Load which is Blur the game. I have not idea if 6 cores or 4 cores. I want to be future-proof and a 6-core 980x, is something I can't afford. Should I just stick with a 4 core i7? If so, a 875K or wait for Sandy Bridge? Thanks for any replies and suggestions!
4 answers Last reply
More about series quad core
  1. The 4 core i7 defeats the 4 core/6 core Phenoms quite handily in ~80% of most benchmarks, including games, even if/when at a clock deficit....

IMO, 4 core is plenty for the next couple of years, minimum....
  2. The 2600K would be the best option for future proofing and the highest performance.
  3. If you only use 30% under full load, why would you blow $1200 on a build? I would stick with an i5 or something if that's the most you stress your system.
  4. boiler1990 said:
    If you only use 30% under full load, why would you blow $1200 on a build? I would stick with an i5 or something if that's the most you stress your system.

I like building rigs and I have $1200 to blow at something...
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Quad Core Intel i7 Systems