Asus Xonar DG Problem

Scourge2325

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Xonar DG sound card off ASUS. For the past 3 days I have not even been able to see this card in device manager. I have put it in all 4 of my available PCI slots with no change. Every time I try to install the drivers on the disk I get the message "Please Plug-In your ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device". I'm guessing that because it won't even show up on the device manager that its a problem with my BIOS even though the integrated sound is off. I just got this new mobo about a month ago so i wouldn't be surprised if that it the issue, I'm just not sure where to go from here since I don't really know how to configure my PCI slots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Setup:
Gigabyte P43-ES3G motherboard
ATI Radeon 4850 video card
Intel Dual Core 3.00 GHz processor
Corsair 450W psu

Scourge2325

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Ya I have my HD audio FP connector in the card but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any driver I try to use comes up with the same error because windows doesn't even know I have the card in my PCI slot.

Dump whatever Asus audio drivers you already have in ADD/REMOVE programs.
Download DriverSweeper
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
Run in safemode
Check off ASUS audio
Analyze and clean
Turn off pc
Physically remove the card
Put the card back in
Restart normal
Install the latest drivers from Asus site i linked
Install as Admin
Don't give up
Took me 3 tries for my Auzentech Forte to install in WIN7
Once it was successful it's been flawless for 1yr.

I've seen this from time to time with ASUS cards lately; not sure why though...

You could give the generic C-Media drivers a try [ASUS Cards are nothing but re-branded C-Media models with cutsom drivers], though if the card isn't even being detected, its likely a hardware issue, either the connector or the card itself.

Scourge2325

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks Davcon, I'll do that and let you know how it turned out.

I don't think its a problem with the actual card because I ordered this card about 2 weeks ago and had this same issue but just assumed it was dead on arrival and asked newegg to send me a new one. But now that its happening again I'm guessing the problem is on my side even though i guess its possible to get 2 dead cards.

Scourge2325

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Upon re-seating my sound card i noticed that i don't really get a satisfying connection when I put it in my PCI slot, the gold connectors are still visible but I can't push it in anymore because of the metal bracket at the end. I have a coolermaster 692 advanced case that is much deeper than my previous case, I'm thinking that this card may be too short for it which would explain why windows can't pick it up. I might just return it for a refund and invest in another PCI sound card. Any good suggestions?

Picture of my DG in the PCI slot: http://i.imgur.com/8jJ9H.jpg

I have the same case and i notice you have to pay particular attention to the back bracket for the card to seat properly.
Experienced this first hand with that case which has had more then one soundcard used in it.
If your card isn't aligned properly at the back it will definitely not seat in the pcie slot properly.

If the metal pci slot bracket isn't in place properly it will throw the entire alignment off.
The tapered end must be seated properly.
Looks like a no-brainer but i've even had issues with certain cases in the past.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=29-132-020-Z02&SpinSet=29-132-020-RS&ISList=29-132-020-Z01%2c29-132-020-Z02%2c29-132-020-Z03%2c29-132-020-Z04%2c29-132-020-Z05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16829132020&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=ASUS%20XONAR_DG%205.1%20Channels%20PCI%20Interface%20Xonar%20DG%20Sound%20Card
Once you have this placed properly don't be afraid to apply a little force to the card so it seats in the slot properly.
An actually loud click/thack is a good indication.
I usually don't worry about the screw/thumbscrew until the card is working properly.