Newbie question re Li-ion batteries

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 23, 2005 3:49:06 AM

I recently bought a Casio Z40. The only way to charge the battery is in a
cradle that is provided. What I want to know is, is it OK to to keep the
charger on constantly ? Is the lithium-ion battery likely to suffer any
effect ?

tia.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:43:39 AM

"mig" <mig_59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently bought a Casio Z40. The only way to charge the battery is in a
> cradle that is provided. What I want to know is, is it OK to to keep the
> charger on constantly ? Is the lithium-ion battery likely to suffer any
> effect ?

Probably does suffer some effect but....the lithium ion batteries wear out
after two or three years anyway (use them or not) so that is the greater
effect.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:06:04 PM

> > I recently bought a Casio Z40. The only way to charge the battery is in
> > cradle that is provided. What I want to know is, is it OK to to keep the
> > charger on constantly ? Is the lithium-ion battery likely to suffer
any
> > effect ?

Lithium batteries are much more delicate than NiCads or NiMh with respect
to over-charging: And in this case, it works out to your advantage.
Lithium packs have a very small circuit that prevents each cell individually
from reaching too high of a voltage - or too low. I wouldn't doubt that the
ultra-cheap imitations might have inferior (or perhaps no) protection
circuit, but any decent one will. They typically at least try to prevent
against shorts as well, because short-circuiting a lithium-ion battery that
isn't protected typically ends up in a small explosion.

If the charger and battery were the same brand, I wouldn't even worry
about it. If they were different brands, I'd probably watch the temp of the
battery for the first time or two to make sure.

steve
!