Sound Dampening- Rosewill Challanger

gunnygzuz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I have a Rosewill Challanger with plenty of open space. I've been waiting on an unsually long motherboard replacement from newegg (leaving my old mobo in for now) so it's given me plenty of time to tinker.

My case is a bit loud, here are the fans inside: 4x 80mm, 2x 120mm, 1x 140mm. Also the GeForce GTS 250 and CPU stock heatsink fan naturally. By themselves not very loud, but with the Rosewill Challenger's extremely thin casing, it has almost ZERO sound dampening.

So what's the best way to remedy that? I was considering initially fan controller/ lining the inside with some material, or possibly both.

Any ideas? It's annoyingly loud enough that no matter what I'm doing I can at least hear it, even with my Logitech X540 on low-medium volume (can't always blair it sadly)

If something decent price comes up, a new case is a consideration. If it's too much; I might grab one in a few months if it costs too much ad just find temporary sound dampening for now.

Solution
You have too many fans imo..
All you need is 1x120mm front intake
1X120mm rear exhaust
1x140mm top exhaust
Most 80mm are loud compared to larger diameter fans.

gunnygzuz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Oh and PS, I know it only allows supposedly 5 fans.. but I have one mounted "manually" under Hard Drive Bay and one blowing air from below DVD drive towards the CPU for extra air flow inside the more "idle" parts of the case.

gunnygzuz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
More of the noise ic omign from CPU/GPU than all other fans combined. I know that usually 80mms are loud, but I made sure to only use the quieter ones. Either way though, i recently had a budget change (sold Logitech X540 for $120 lol) so I'll be able to figure this one out. Going to mark as best answer because I honestly no longer need one lol.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I have the same case(great budget case IMO.) I have to agree just use the large three main fains. Four exhausts total: GPU, GPU, top, and back. Two intakes total: front and side to GPU's. The PSU dedicated ventilation should be an industry standard.