CPU needs to be replaced ?

juliaattoms

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the processor socket type used on a Mesh Matrix SLR Prestige computer - can you help me ?

I believe the chip needs to be replaced because it's the cause of a computer locking up completely just a minutes after loading Windows. This is on a brand new Windows installation - and even with a brand new SATA hard drive, so it can't be a corruption in Windows or faulty drive.

The chip has probably been overheating for some time as there's been a message on boot up saying "chip fan fail or set too low" for a long time - and the person didn't know what to do about it, so they continued using it.

When I checked the computer, the fan was turning fine but on closer inspection I found that the heatsink wasn't fully attached to the chip, so I reapplied the paste. Then the fan stopped working, so I replaced that successfully.

After reloading Windows I thought the computer would run fine now it wasn't overheating, but now I have the "lockups" - even before I can get online to apply the Windows updates !!

If you think it's not worth replacing the chip - and it's the board at fault - please do feel free to let me know, because my experience with troubleshooting to this level is still growing at the moment (I usually deal with software faults and training).

Regards,
Julia

mi1ez

Splendid
Work your way from bottom to top of this list to potentially identify socket, would be easier if you give us detail on the CPU though.

Whether it's worth replacing the CPU would depend on the CPU, the age and the other components.