Sign in with
Your question

3 HIS Radeon 6870 vs. 2 HIS Radeon 5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2010 8:59:49 PM

Okay, so as we all know the new 6k series if ATI graphics cards is out, but are they any better?
My original plan for graphics cards on my new build was to have 2 HIS 5870 cards in crossfire, however now that the new 6ks are out I decided to check them out. I found the HIS 6870s to be cheap enough that I could go with three cards in crossfire for $40 more. However after looking at some of these benchmarks I'm not sure which is better. I plan on having 3 monitors and get some good FPS. Which graphics card setup would be a better buy?

I am going to use an AMD 3.4GHz CPU with a gigabyte mother board... I could really use the help, thanks guys/(gals?)
a c 195 U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 9:41:11 PM

Definitely the 2 5870s since its physically impossible to do 3 6870s as they only have one crossfire connector per card so you are restricted to dual card setups, and based on the Tom's review, 2 6870s do slightly better than 2 5850s so i would expect 2 5870s to do a fair amount better than 2 6870s.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 9:46:44 PM

You cant go beyond 2-way with 6870s, but even 2 6870 performs on par with dual 5870s due to improved scaling and could improve with newer drivers. So theres no point in spending $200 more for the same performance and older cards.

However, with that budget you might want to wait for Caymans.

m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2010 10:10:09 PM

Ok, cool thanks for the answers. I don't know how I managed to overlook the fact that the 6870s can't go triple crossfire! But your answers gave me another interesting idea, I still have a relitivly nice amoutn left In my budget, is it possible to go triple cossfire with the 5870s? And also whose making the caymens? I'm trying to build an AMD/ATI build, my next pc I'll use intel and nvidia.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2010 10:23:26 PM

geeknation said:
Ok, cool thanks for the answers. I don't know how I managed to overlook the fact that the 6870s can't go triple crossfire! But your answers gave me another interesting idea, I still have a relitivly nice amoutn left In my budget, is it possible to go triple cossfire with the 5870s? And also whose making the caymens? I'm trying to build an AMD/ATI build, my next pc I'll use intel and nvidia.

Caymans are the HD6900s, which is the direct replacements for the 5800s, AMD did some major branding change with the HD6000s.
m
l
October 25, 2010 10:31:31 PM

Ok cool I'll check them out. I'm not planning on buying the parts for a few months but with the new 6ks out I just wanted to know what there ability is.
m
l
October 26, 2010 1:28:49 AM

Before you go to 3 cards, make sure you do some research on whether the CPU you've chosen can actually maximize all 3 cards. It's quite possible that it will prove to be a bottleneck and the 3rd card will be mostly wasted. Sorry but I haven't done that research myself, as I never considered a triple card solution when building my PC (also I went with intel cpu).

And yes, the 5870s can triple or even quadruple crossfire. but again, make sure your cpu can actually maximize all of them before buying, or you might find yourself extremely disappointed.
m
l
!