Asus m4a88t-m supports 32 gb ram

Check asus ram qvl listing on their website for the m4a88t-m and match the model number at newegg or your favorite vender. Purchase 4 identical ram sticks. You don't have to purchase them together as a kit. Sometimes it's cheaper to just use 4 for the quantity when you order. The ram qvl listing is here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TM/#MSL. Pick your favorite brand of 4 gb stick on the list and order 4 of them. The max capacity for your board is 16 gb.

mdinisoae

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
Recently I tried to upgrade my system ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 (Chipset AMD® 880G / SB850) + Phenom 1100T to 32 GB of RAM.
After checking the memory compatibility document from ASUS website I bought 2 packages of Corsair Vengeance Pro Series - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1600MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMY16GX3M2A1600C9). Unfortunately, the 2 packages received have different HW version: ver. 3.24 and ver. 4.23. My system start first time, pass the POST, load the OS and I can see the 32 GB recognized by Windows 7 x64 bit. After system reboot (or restart) the motherboard does not pass the POST, no beeps. I press the memory switch on MB, it pass the memory compatibility check, then the system starts again.... but till next reboot/restart.
I did the test with Corsair 2 x 8GB + Kingston 2 x 4 GB and the system is working fine with 24 GB.
I went to shop to change one of the memory pack and asked for similar HW version ... after 2 weeks I received ver. 5.20 :( ... but the system has same behavior.
I asked one of my friend with ASUS M5A99X EVO + AMD Phenom FX 8120 to test the 2 memory packages with different HW version => his system works fine.
I'm thinking to return back Corsair and go for Kingston KVR16N11/8.
It's anybody here tried 32 GB on ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3? If yes, what is the type of your memory module used?

mdinisoae

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
I finally made my ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 (Chipset AMD® 880G / SB850) + Phenom 1100T working with 32 GB of RAM.

My solution: I switched off the Turbo Key II switch and now is the system restarts.

Before, after first reboot, the system applied the old overclocking settings rising the CPU frequency to 3.8 GHz and the RAM frequency - I don't remember the value but for sure was under 1666 MHz ---- but even like that , if I manually apply such settings the system was loading the OS and running for weeks ( 5 VMs simultaneously using ~ 30 GB RAM) ... but after first reboot system KO.

I'm not happy with this solution because I cannot overclock the system but at least I can reboot the system without press the MemOK! switch on MB (this switch reset the BIOS settings to default).
When I will have additional time I will make more tests on settings & BIOS and see how to erase all saved overclocking settings (only using Clear BIOS switch not help, the settings re-apply after first reboot).

BillV523

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

I'm running 32GB GSkill F3-128000CL10Q-32GBXL (8GBx4) in an M5A88-M and it lists on GSkill as compatible with the M4A88TD-V EVO for the 880/850 chipset (same chipset that is in the M5A88-M), booted without issue didn't have to press memok button. I'm running the AM3+ socket with FX8350 cpu, which might make a difference but pretty sure that whether or not the ram is compatible is based on the chipset not cpu ( cpu only affects clocking features? ). If is listed in the vendor QVL, that means the vendor has tested it with the mobo/chipset, as mine don't show up in Asus QVL list but do in GSkill, and have been working since last week without issue so far.
See http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl10q-32gbxl
Also running a Linux O/S 64bit but that shouldn't make a difference so long as your O/S is also 64bit where you can get full potential of RAM. I also tried one 16GB Crucial ram chip by itself in this mobo hoping to go to 64GB, but that did not work, no boot, and memok failed - I think 8GB per slot is max the 880/850 chipset allows - I don't know how they limit a 64bit system to less than what 64bit is actually capable of, but they do to sell higher end models.

mdinisoae

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
Hello BillV523,

Thanks a lot for your reply, somehow I solved the problem and the system works fine: seems the BIOS saved an old "overclocking" configuration made with old16 GB Kingston memory and Win7 (long time ago). I switch off "Turbo Key II switch" and now I can reboot system without issue.
As you said, 880/850 chipset support 32 GB of RAM despite of ASUS technical support answer "according with M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 manual the motherboard supports only 16 GB of RAM".

I asked ASUS to let me know how to delete "overclocking" settings stored in BIOS (or somewhere else) but I didn't receive any answer .... for now I will keep my system running on standard configuration and I will prepare to move on with server configuration for MB & CPU (perhaps Supermicro & AMD Opteron).