Looking to upgrade my machine and need some advice.

berlin88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I am looking at taking the system listed below and upgrading it a bit. Not looking to break the bank on upgrades, so just some good mid range stuff that can last a while. Primarily looking at upgrading the CPU / Motherboard, but will also upgrade the RAM and PSU if needed.

My current CPU / Motherboard / PSU are from August 2006 and the Graphics card is from early 2009. Highly unlikely that I get a new graphics card, as the current one still works just fine for me. Would only upgrade the graphics card if the newer AM3 boadrs don't support it, but I doubt that will be a problem. My Sound card and case are from all the way back in June 2004, but they still work just fine.

Basically, I want to upgrade the CPU / Motherboard first and only upgrade the other items if I can't get by with using the existing parts. More than likely I will have to upgrade the memory as well, so maybe a few suggestions there.

For CPU's, I am going to go AMD and looking at the Phenom II 965, 1055T, 1070T, 970 or 955. As for Motherboards I am looking at Asus or MSI, since those are the brands I have used in the past, but feel free to suggest other brands if they currently have superior reliability or quality. I Know Asus still has customer support issues.

For memory, I have generally used generic no name stuff and occasionally low end stuff from Kingston or Corsair, but perhaps now would be a good time to get some half way decent memory if I am forced to upgrade that when I eventually get a new board? Likely would go with either 3x 2GB sticks or 2x 4GB sticks, likely a set of matched pairs.

This rig is primarily used for music and games, so it has to be able to handle all the more recent stuff. The most recent game I have is Battlefield Bad Company 2 and my system can take it, but demos for some of the newer games have struggled a bit at times, forcing me to tone down the settings.

This is my current system:

Antec Super LANBOY
1 120MM Blue LED Cooler Master fan
1 120MM TRI Color LED / TRI Cool Antec fan

550w Antec True Power 2.0 PSU
Asus M2N SLI- Deluxe
AMD AM2 Athlon 64 4200+ x2
2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 Memory (not sure what Brand it is, but nothing fancy)
2GB DDR2 Supertalent Memory (2x 1GB sticks)
EVGA 9800GTX+ PCI- Express
Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Hauppauge TV Card
Seagate 1TB Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB SATA Hard Drive
Samsung 1TB SATA Hard Drive
Seagate 250GB ATA hard drive (external drive)

Samsung 22 inch Wide Screen LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Home Premium
Logitech Z-640 Speakers
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard/ Mouse
Floppy Drive
DVD/ CD RW Drive
LG Blue Ray Drive!

I also have some spare memory that was used in the above system before I swapped it out for 2 1GB sticks.

1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 memory (dual channel mode disabled)

^ Intel will be launching newer CPUs by Jan 5th, not that I am saying you to buy those, but sure after its launch, you can see AMD reducing its CPU price further, also the newer CPUs seem to offer very good performance, and would launch at the current Intel i5 price range,...

PSU - I would also suggest you to change the PSU as well because it is more than 3 years old and is out of warranty I guess,.. right ?

GPU - The 9800GTX+ is fine if you dont play very high graphic intensive games(recent ones) @ very high resolutions,...

RAM - DDR3 would be better,...

TRENDING THREADS