Non-OS drive 5400 vs 7200?

onfulltilt

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hello,
I'm thinking about building my own next computer, and using a SSD for OS and Programs. For the storage drive (probably 2 2TB drives raid 1), would I want to go with 7200 RPM drives, or am I okay with 5400 RPM "green" drives?

Storage drives will probably be used to edit HD video (most demanding thing I can think of that this computer will be used for).

onfulltilt

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. I was actually thinking of those exact drives as I've already bought some for a NAS and they're very nice and quit. Wasn't sure if they were fast enough for the computer though.

All things being equal, the 7200's can be up to 33% faster. OTOH, slower speed = lower heat / noise and, again all things being equal, longer life. Only you can decide which is more important. hen editing video, most peeps are looking for very hi speed drives.

onfulltilt

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Thanks to all who shared their thoughts. I ended up building my new system with a 80GB SSD (I hope it's big enough) and a Samsung F4 2TB (since I already had one). I'm not sure I'm going to bother with a RAID though since I plan on regularly backing up to a NAS.