Sign in with
Your question

Possible PSU problem?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 18, 2011 3:32:44 PM

Hey guys. Never posted on Tom's Hardware before, but I've always turned to this site for advice, so I was hoping you guys could help me.

I just upgraded my PC with an AMD Phenom II X4 955, and was applying a light overclock before temps were pushing 74. I was going to shut it off after that, but it shut off automatically. The power light was blinking on and off, so I thought I'd wait for it to cool down and try again later. I pushed the power button, and my LED fans, GPU fan, and the fan on my radiator all spin for approximately 1/10th of a second. I tried turning it on again, but nothing happened. The only way I can get this to do that is if I turn off my PSU, unplug it, plug it back in and turn on the PSU (for a split second when I turn on the PSU the power light blinks once) and push the power button again. I reset CMOS using both the battery and the jumper trick, but it still does the same thing. I swapped out my new CPU for my old one (AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor @ 3.5Ghz stable) and I still get the same problem. I tested my PSU with the paper clip trick, and the PSU will "boot", and I've tested it with a multimeter. I get 5 volts on the gray line, -5 on the white line, etc., although I did notice that one of the 12 volt lines was at 11.93 volts. I went through this list (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.ht...) and took everything out of my mobo, except the HSF and CPU, and I get silence, BUT when I leave everything in and unplug the 4 pin ATX cable from the mobo, everything will boot/light up, but there aren't any beeps and nothing is displayed on my monitor (I was hoping for an error message from my graphics card, but no). I think it's the PSU, because from what it looks like, when it's put under too much of a load (adding the 4 pin ATX cable) it just goes out. I don't have another ATX PSU to test if this is the problem though. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened, and this pickle of a problem is driving me nuts! The PSU I bought was really cheap, but it did the job possibly up until now. Please help, ANY help would be appreciated. Here are my PC specs:

MSI 790X - G45 mb
Old CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 @ 3.5Ghz
New CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.6Ghz
Coolit ECO A.L.C all in one liquid cooler for the CPU
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon HD 5750
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Windows 7 Pro 32 bit
My PSU is an hec HP585D

This all happened about 18 hours ago, and during the time from the initial problem happening up until now, there have been NO beeps.

More about : psu problem

a c 275 ) Power supply
March 19, 2011 2:31:10 AM

It could definitely be the psu especially if it's a cheapy.
Another strong possibility is your bios version.
When changing a cpu it's a good idea to consult the makers website.
You need to be specific with the exact version of the new 955's model/version #
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/790X-G45.html#/?div=CPUSu...
a b ) Power supply
March 19, 2011 2:48:50 AM

It might the the cheapo psu. If you have another psu try that.
Related resources
March 19, 2011 3:09:14 AM

Well I don't have another PSU, but I asked my aunt to bring over a bad PC, and I tested that PC with my PSU and was able to boot correctly. I tried to boot without my CPU in and it did the same problem as before with the fans twitching and shutting off. Upon further investigation I found a few other people with MSI boards similar to me and similar setup that had the same problem. They all replaced their PSUs and still had the same problem. I'm almost fairly certain it's the motherboard. Now I'm worried about my motherboard taking out more than just itself :(  Do you guys think it could have taken out the CPU as well? It wasn't even 2 hours after I installed it :cry: 
March 19, 2011 3:31:50 AM

looks like the mobo is gone.
after all nothing like that will last forever
March 19, 2011 9:19:17 PM

It was the motherboard. I replaced it with a nice ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO motherboard. Everything is working as it should, including the CPU :) 
!