Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Upgrade Options for a M3A-H/HDMI Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 18, 2011 4:19:49 PM

Hello!

I'm thinking about upgrading the CPU in my computer if it's possible / worthwhile. The motherboard is an ASUS M3A-H HDMI board which was originally an AMD AM2/AM2+ but according to the ASUS website it is now AM3-ready following a BIOS upgrade.

I'm basically trying to find the best CPU available now that will work with the current motherboard. The current specs are...

QuadCore AMD Phenom x4 Black Edition 9950 2.6GHz
8GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Corsair TX650W PSU
Antec 900 Case

I'm finding that the Phenom X4 BE is running pretty hot and has very limited overclocking capabilities. It's also starting to show its age a bit with some of the newest games and video editing.

Any suggestions / advice?

Thanks

Ecotox
a c 143 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 10:55:20 PM

Since your doing video editing and presumably encoding then I would suggest one of the phenom II x6 processors.
March 19, 2011 2:30:54 AM

time to remove the fan put silicon grease inside
clean out all the dust on the power supply, cpu fan, chipset
replace the premium useless heatsink compound
check for Bulging capacitors.


Also defrag your harddisk
Related resources
March 19, 2011 1:51:33 PM

simonyee04 said:
time to remove the fan put silicon grease inside
clean out all the dust on the power supply, cpu fan, chipset
replace the premium useless heatsink compound
check for Bulging capacitors.


Also defrag your harddisk


Hi! Thanks for the reply.

When I said the CPU was 'running pretty hot' I just meant that this particular CPU is well known for being inefficient, very hot under strress and despite being a black edition - pretty useless for overclocking. I have already used / still use your suggestions and I have no problems keeping the temperatures within the acceptable range, but it would be nice to have a more efficient CPU that will allow me to knock the case fans down a level for example.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2011 2:00:44 PM

It's a very old processor.It's time to upgrade.I guess it's possible to upgrade the BIOS to be able to run AM3 but it's not always guanrteed to work,could get complicated and i think it's overall messy if you don't know what your doing.

I think it's best to upgrade both the CPU and MOBO.Whats your budget for both?
March 19, 2011 2:05:17 PM

purple stank said:
It's a very old processor.It's time to upgrade.I guess it's possible to upgrade the BIOS to be able to run AM3 but it's not always guanrteed to work,could get complicated and i think it's overall messy if you don't know what your doing.

I think it's best to upgrade both the CPU and MOBO.Whats your budget for both?


Was hoping to keep under £150, that's why I was looking at a CPU-only upgrade but I think you're right. Might be time for a full MoBo replacement.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2011 2:53:52 PM

Thats easily manageable.$200 US.Can get a really good processor and a regular motherboard.

Do you live in the UK?Have any preferried sites,post them so i can search for u.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2011 3:06:10 PM

Not a whole lot of options from either.Found 2 mobo's at novatech but they have nforce NB so that might not work with your 5770.

Do you use amazon?Thats where you'll see a lot more results.
March 19, 2011 3:08:21 PM

purple stank said:
Not a whole lot of options from either.Found 2 mobo's at novatech but they have nforce NB so that might not work with your 5770.

Do you use amazon?Thats where you'll see a lot more results.


Sure, I'll happily order from anywhere so long as the costs are reasonable and the goods do the job!!!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2011 3:10:39 PM

What's your ram speed(frequency)?
March 19, 2011 3:14:11 PM

purple stank said:
What's your ram speed(frequency)?


I've got 4 sticks of 2GB DDR2-800 SDRAM installed.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2011 3:20:59 PM

Do you mind if it's a Micro ATX board?or do you want regular ATX.
March 19, 2011 3:23:41 PM

purple stank said:
Do you mind if it's a Micro ATX board?or do you want regular ATX.


It'd need to be a regular ATX really. Doubt my gigantic CPU fan would fit on a micro
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 19, 2011 3:26:37 PM

All i'm finding is Micro ATX's.Those seem to be the only ones that are avaible.

If you upgrade to DDR3 RAM think it would open up a lot more options.
March 19, 2011 3:33:12 PM

purple stank said:
All i'm finding is Micro ATX's.Those seem to be the only ones that are avaible.

If you upgrade to DDR3 RAM think it would open up a lot more options.


Yeah, I'm finding the same thing with everywhere I'm looking. Think it's looking like a case of either sticking with what I've got and making do with it, or sinking some serious money into a new board, cpu and RAM. Best start saving!

Really appreciate your time, you've helped me narrow things down a lot!

Thanks!
!