Sign in with
Your question

I just installed a second MSI Cyclone GTX 460...overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2010 12:58:05 AM

I just installed a second GTX 460 in my Evga X58 758 sli mobo. I have an Antec 902 case. For testing all case fans are on high including the optional window fan. I am using an i7950 at stock speeds being cooled by a 212 plus.

All temps are fine except for the top GTX 460. When I run Furmark the top card hit mid 80s before I stopped it. I swapped the cards around and this time the top card, the new one, hit 90c and Furmark crashed.

I am running Furmark at full screen and 1600x1200 resolution.

Am I doing something wrong in Furmark? My case has plenty of airflow so I don't think that is the problem.
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 1:04:47 AM

Are your fans running 100% ? There is no reason to run Furmark, without putting the fans to 100%. They load the cards in a synthetic way that no game code will usually do. I have a slot between two cyclones and can run Unigene Heaven looped or Crysis time demo's looped and the top cards maxes about 65c
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2010 1:07:05 AM

So does that mean what I am seeing is considered normal?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 1:11:31 AM

What happens in gaming ? Getting near 90 is higher than gtx 460's usually run.
Furmark is anything but normal though. Run Heaven for a 1/2 hour
m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 1:12:29 AM

That would be my guess. Try it in a demanding game!
m
l
October 26, 2010 3:57:10 AM

I ran Heaven for about a half hour. I can't monitor temps while that is running so I checked them immediately after it closed. I had afterburner running in the back ground and had the fans set to 100%.

The highest the top card hit was 70c. The bottom card hit 50c.

m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 12:05:58 PM

Those temps are well within the operating parameters of the cards! The top card is sitting in the warm air from the bottom card which is creating the temp difference.
m
l
October 26, 2010 3:27:10 PM

I am just shocked by the difference of running two of these in SLI compared to one. With just one card installed temps stay in the 50's no matter how long I run Furmark. With both cards installed the top card hits low 90's! I know that is technically safe but I don't like it.

I wonder if I should switch one card to the lower 8x PCI slot to give the top card some breathing room. Only the top two slots are 16x on the EVGA X58 758. I know dropping it down to 8x will hurt performance some but I imagine the top card would run much cooler. I did install the lower card in the 8x slot briefly but when I opened windows Nvidia control panel didn't give me an option for SLI. I assume I have to change the PCI to 8x in the bios for it to work. I was too tired at that point to play around with it. Hopefully I will have some free time tonight.
m
l
!