I got wi-fi in my house 6 months ago and it was fine up until last week. Now unless I am beside the router I cannot connect to the internet and when I do the signal is 2 bars out of 5. I havent got any new electrical aplliances in the house that could effect it and havent changed any settings.
Have you installed a cordless phone or video sender ?
Maybe a neighbour has installed wifi on the same channel.
You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
September 5, 2010 10:33:03 PM
No new cordless phones or anythngI'll try experimenting with channels see if that does anything. Its strange I was able to get full signal on my wifi and see some of the neighbours but now just mine at 2 bars. The router is new but looks like something TalkTalk tried to hand me with a Commodore64 instead my laptop.
I'll see if I can get another laptop here and see what signal it gets.