Sign in with
Your question

Does dvi to hdmi carry audio

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2010 1:12:18 AM

So I just built a pc using a GTS 450 graphics card. I have it connected to my monitor through a dvi to hdmi cable. The monitor does not have built in speakers, but it does support audio because it has a separate attachable soundbar.
Today I was setting up some speakers and noticed that I could get pc audio through my monitor's soundbar. Apparently my graphics card is somehow pushing audio as well as video through to my monitor via a dvi to hdmi cable which I didn't think was possible.
Anyone mind clearing this up?
Is it the dvi hdmi cable or just my graphics card or both?..

More about : dvi hdmi carry audio

a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
October 26, 2010 2:47:33 AM

DVI does not carry audio signal at all.
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2010 2:56:44 AM

Some GPUs do support audio through their DVI ports if they sense its going into an HDMI cable even though it wouldnt be supported over a DVI cable, i guess they have to get a bit creative with the sensing and wiring inside to get it done.
m
l
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
October 26, 2010 6:52:17 AM

Can you provide a link to a video card that allows audio or DVI? I really do not think it possible based on well known specs of DVI.

The pins in a DVI port/cable are only designed to carry video signal. To be best of my knowledge audio signals cannot piggyback on top of video signals thru a DVI port.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2010 2:05:30 PM

jaguarskx said:
DVI does not carry audio signal at all.

It does work I know from experience, but the video card needs to have built in audio, and it needs to be selected as the audio playback device. I do not know if a 450 has that capability.

(My 4870, 4350 have audio over HDMI and DVI)
m
l
October 28, 2010 11:34:58 PM

Well I guess my graphics card just supports audio through its dvi port but im using some random dvi to hdmi cable that I bought elsewhere.. So do all dvi - hdmi cables carry audio?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 29, 2010 12:26:12 AM

PanFriedPuppies said:
Well I guess my graphics card just supports audio through its dvi port but im using some random dvi to hdmi cable that I bought elsewhere.. So do all dvi - hdmi cables carry audio?

That I am not sure. To be safe it would be best if the DVI cable had all the pins.
m
l
!