Does dvi to hdmi carry audio

So I just built a pc using a GTS 450 graphics card. I have it connected to my monitor through a dvi to hdmi cable. The monitor does not have built in speakers, but it does support audio because it has a separate attachable soundbar.
Today I was setting up some speakers and noticed that I could get pc audio through my monitor's soundbar. Apparently my graphics card is somehow pushing audio as well as video through to my monitor via a dvi to hdmi cable which I didn't think was possible.
Anyone mind clearing this up?
Is it the dvi hdmi cable or just my graphics card or both?..
7 answers Last reply
More about does hdmi carry audio
  1. DVI does not carry audio signal at all.
  2. Some GPUs do support audio through their DVI ports if they sense its going into an HDMI cable even though it wouldnt be supported over a DVI cable, i guess they have to get a bit creative with the sensing and wiring inside to get it done.
  3. Can you provide a link to a video card that allows audio or DVI? I really do not think it possible based on well known specs of DVI.

The pins in a DVI port/cable are only designed to carry video signal. To be best of my knowledge audio signals cannot piggyback on top of video signals thru a DVI port.
  4. Yes it is possible to send audio over a DVI->HDMI connection. I have an AMD HD4850 and use the adapter that came with the card. I think the DVI port is modified in some way.

check this thread for more info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257301-33-hdmi-adapter-audio-conundrum
  5. jaguarskx said:
    DVI does not carry audio signal at all.

It does work I know from experience, but the video card needs to have built in audio, and it needs to be selected as the audio playback device. I do not know if a 450 has that capability.

(My 4870, 4350 have audio over HDMI and DVI)
  6. Well I guess my graphics card just supports audio through its dvi port but im using some random dvi to hdmi cable that I bought elsewhere.. So do all dvi - hdmi cables carry audio?
  7. PanFriedPuppies said:
    Well I guess my graphics card just supports audio through its dvi port but im using some random dvi to hdmi cable that I bought elsewhere.. So do all dvi - hdmi cables carry audio?

That I am not sure. To be safe it would be best if the DVI cable had all the pins.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DVI Audio Monitors HDMI Graphics