Freezes after cpu fan installation

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I recently installed a new cpu fan after experiencing what I believe to be overheating issues. The computer would freeze while playing games and the temperature would get to around 80c. However, a few minutes after I turned on the computer after the fan installation, it froze. I checked the cpu temp and it was around 35-40c so it couldn't be overheating. I realized that I had the power cable for the fan plugged into a 4 pin slot when it was suppose to be in a 3 pin. That unfortunately did not solve the problem either. I tried starting the computer in safe mode, switched to another operating system, and checked the hard disk for errors and it froze on all of them. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks for the help. Computer specs - xfx nforce 750sli motherboard, core 2 quad Q9550, cooler master hyper n520 cpu fan, windows 7 64bit.

Solution

Hmmm, does sound hardware related. Might be that the high temperatures you were experiencing have damaged the CPU to the point where it still functions but fails under extreme stress such as gaming. If you have a spare compatible CPU then switch it and see if you still get a freeze. Or there could be a fault with your graphics card. You're not over clocking your GPU are you?

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I resetted the cmos but its still freezing. I tried doing a stress test to see if something was wrong with the cpu or if it was overheating but it freezes before it can finish. Should I try switching out the cpu? I can't think of anything else that could be causing the problem.

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Have you run virus / malware scans? Just seems like the problem might not be fan / temp related if the freezes happened both before and after installing the fan. Check you RAM is seated properly and run a disk check on your hard drive.

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I've ran practically every test that I can think of from virus, memory tests, disk cleanup, defrag, to checking the hard drive for errors. It was only freezing during gaming before I put the fan in. At this point I'm thinking it has to be a hardware issue.

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Hmmm, does sound hardware related. Might be that the high temperatures you were experiencing have damaged the CPU to the point where it still functions but fails under extreme stress such as gaming. If you have a spare compatible CPU then switch it and see if you still get a freeze. Or there could be a fault with your graphics card. You're not over clocking your GPU are you?

Solution

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The graphics card is overclocked but it came that way out of the box. I just reseated the cpu and it did seem to last a little longer but it still froze. I guess trying a new cpu is the best option. If it is damaged it wouldn't be covered under warranty right?

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Does your motherboard have integrated graphics? If it does, you could try removing your graphics card and using your intergrated graphics. If it still freezes that would elimanate any fault surrounding your graphics card.

If it still freezes and you're sure there's not a temperature issue (thermal paste properly applied etc.) then a new CPU looks likely. Unless anyone else on here has any ideas?

Have you tried re-installing Windows? Not sure how practical this is for you. It might be worth trying before you shell out money just incase it's a software glitch or conflit somewhere. Try cleaning your registry as well if you can do it before it freezes!

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I switched out the cpu with an old one and it hasn't froze for awhile so the cpu must have been the problem. Is the core 2 quad damaged at a lower temperature than the core 2 duo because I've been using the dual core for a significantly longer period than the quad and never experienced this issue? Also, I'm still getting temperatures close to 80c so is it possible that the fan isn't installed correctly? Thanks for the help.

ecotox

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

I thought you said you got the temperatures down to 35-40C? If they're still rising to 80C then that will cause the CPU to shutdown to try and protect itself. Remove your fan and clean any old thermal paste from the CPU. Get some high quality thermal paste like mx-4 and make sure there's a nice thin layer over the CPU. Re-install the fan. Make sure it's fitted correctly. Make sure it's clean also. That goes for your whole case. Use compressed air to clean out everything and ensure you have good airflow through the case (cable management). Turn up your fan speed if possible. You need to get those temps down.

In general a quad core processor will run hotter than it's equivalent dual core due to the temps generated from the extra two cores.

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Oh that was the temperature that I was getting with the quad on idle. I never got to fully test the quad out because it kept freezing but when I put the dual in and started playing a game it slowly rose to 80c. I cleaned the case out when I took the quad out. I don't see how I can get the temperature any lower besides getting better thermal paste like you said or perhaps buying a case with more fans. It is a little crowded in there with all the cables. I used dynex thermal paste btw.

TRENDING THREADS