Sign in with
Your question

Latop for running REVIT at home

Last response: in Systems
December 24, 2010 9:01:14 PM

The short story is that I am shopping for a laptop to run Autodesk REVIT MEP 2011. I went to the Autodesk University show in Vegas a few weeks back. HP, Lenovo, and Dell featured their latest mobile workstations. So I have been researching the M4500, HP8540, and the Lenovo W510. In the mix I looked into some gaming machines as they are more bang for the buck. I am just not sure if they will work as well with the program. All advice is appreciated.

1. What is your budget? 1000-1600 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"-17"

3. What screen resolution do you want? Full HD preferred

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? business class.

5. How much battery life do you need? not important

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games. Just REVIT MEP 2011, or Autocad 2008

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) nothing major. Office, video streaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 250+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I have seen deals at costcentral.com (HP8540w), Lenovo.com has a great deal for a free touchscreen FHD display.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 yrs

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD-R is fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I like Lenovo, HP, and Dell. I am curious about MSI, Sager, and Xi.

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Looking for the right processor. Will a I5-560 do the job well? Do I need the Quadro class GPU or can I go with a GTX?
December 25, 2010 11:41:13 AM

I want to add to my prior post. I was explaining the systems I was looking into, so you may be confused at what exactly I am asking. Mainly I want advice on what you may know due to your extreme knowledge, or actual use. Will the new I5 dual core work alright? Do I need the I7, and if so do I get the quadcore only? Will a gaming card work? I see the requirements are for direct x9, and shader 3.0. Is that standard with most of todays cards? Is there something in the gamer cards that will slow down the use of the REVIT program. I just can't believe that Autodesk would purposely not test gamer cards to help the sell of the professional series cards.... or would they? And lastly, would a nice build from MSI, Sager, or Xi be a better buy then the HP, Lenovo, or Dell?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
!