No display, working graphics, suspect mobo maybe?

z1411

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hey there, so I work on computers now and then, dont know a whole bunch, but know enough to get by and help others usually... Anyways, a friend is having a problem and I cant seem to figure it out.

They have no display output at all. Zero. Custom built desktop. Been working for a year straight. They say that one day they were listening to music on itunes, the music sounded "funny" they restarted the computer, and havent had a screen since.

I figured video card failure, and swapped theirs out for one of my many spares that I knew worked. Nothing. I checked both video cards in another pc and they both work.

Not painfully knowledgeable in the hardware department, but everything else seemed to work, so I assumed the mobo wasnt busted, but was wondering if the pci / pci express slots could not work while the rest did. Whether or not this could be the case, I dont think it is, because the mobo has red lights next to each slot, and when something is plugged in, like a network card, they light up to show that the slot is working. We've tried the slots with other hardware, and they always light up. We've tried it with three video cards, two express one regular pci, and the mobo lights never light up.

Im sortta at a loss here, theres no on board, so... If I dont have a screen to tinker with things, I dont have much to work with. Normally I go with trial and error on things I dont know exactly what do with, but... Theres nothing else I can think of doing >.< Help? Lol.

Oh. Mobo is this I think.

Oh, and as a side note... Is this in the right thread? Im pretty sure its not the graphics card, since I tried it in another computer and they work... So thats why I didnt put it there... But it is a display issue... Im a long time browser but first time poster... lol.

z1411

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
There a way to test that? Prove it? Fix it? Which is more likely? Why? How is it the mobo when it works with other pci cards? That was a pretty unhelpful response, honestly =/ lol.

IF you want more advice, please list your complete system specs, including the video card and power supply brand, wattage, and 12v rails. Weak power supplies sometimes won't even start the system with a mid or high end video card. Your power supply may be adequate for the pci card, but not the one that won't post.

z1411

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well, Im not looking for the answer, just general guidelines or suggestions on figuring it out myself, in a way. Like... Could it actually be the power supply, like you say? Even if its been using that power supply for over a year? If so, thats something. I could check that against another power supply, and see if it changes anything. And easily replace it... Im just curious as to what else it COULD potentially be. I dont have any system specs. I dont have a screen output. All I got is what I saw when I was there. Ill be going back next week and Id like to try something... All I know is the motherboard had P5K on it, and I tried multiple video cards. Many of which are known to work. High and low end ones. Next time Im there, I could tell ya the power supply info, whatevers on the sticker on the side... As far as video cards go, theres a few, and Id have to look them up... I think one is here actually...

Axle 3D AX-94GT/1GD2P8CDHT GeForce 9400 GT. Works in the computer Im on as of right now...