Have $250 -- Get another 6870 for Crossfire or add more components?

Newegg ended up sending me a $100 gift card for participating in that gift card promo last Sunday, and my mom got me a $100 sum of Newegg gift card for Christmas. I'm a college kid home for break, and my comp's back on campus, so I have 3 weeks to work on it, but...

What should I do with that money?

My initial thought was to add the 140mm and 200mm case fans my case (HAF 912) supports, get a Hyper 212 cooler for my CPU (currently using stock), and use the rest of the funds to add a second hard drive or maybe a blu-ray drive or something. But now I'm curious... I got more than I expected (didn't expect the $100 from Newegg, and anticipated only $100 from parents), so now I am in the price range of getting another 6870. I guess my question is this: Would it be worth it? Would framerate increases be noticeable enough to warrant buying another GPU not even a month after the computer was built?

Current specs besides GPU and Case

PSU: 650W Seasonic
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
ODD: Asus Super-Multi Drive

Would the 650w even be enough juice to crossfire two 6870s? And if the answer is "yes, barely", would I have to get a new PSU if I were to get the other components (more drives, fans, etc.) and then buy a 6870 with savings over the next year?
3 answers Last reply
More about have 6870 crossfire components
  1. What mobo do you have?
  2. A Gigabyte GA-890. Yes, it supports 8X crossfire.
  3. OK and the psu is good but you don't need CF for now, the 6870 is powerful. Get the cooler and keep the money. What monitor?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product