Nvidia gtx 470 vs ati

G

Hello,My Name is Richard
ok well i kinda live in an african country called ghana and i would like to buy the gtx 470 but people keep talking about the heating problem of the gtx 470 and here in ghana it kinda gets hot some times,i also heard that evga has some high air flow bracket and backplate.so do you think buying the gtx 470 with the backplate and high air bracket is better or i should just settle for the normall gtx 470.
my pc specs:intel core2quad q9650 3.0ghz
gigabyte g41-ud3l
8gb of 800mhz ddr2 memory
creative titanium pci-express sound card
nvidia geforce 9400gt 512mb.

If you have problem with heat then go for GTX460, it slower than GTX470 but MUCH faster than your current 9400GT.
Well, if you really want GTX470 then list here all models that suit your budget including their links... :)

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Hello,My Name is Richard
ok well i kinda live in an african country called ghana and i would like to buy the gtx 470 but people keep talking about the heating problem of the gtx 470 and here in ghana it kinda gets hot some times,i also heard that evga has some high air flow bracket and backplate.so do you think buying the gtx 470 with the backplate and high air bracket is better or i should just settle for the normall gtx 470.
my pc specs:intel core2quad q9650 3.0ghz
gigabyte g41-ud3l
8gb of 800mhz ddr2 memory
creative titanium pci-express sound card
nvidia geforce 9400gt 512mb.

The GTX470's are MENT to run hot, heat is not an issue with these. Running these cards at 80-90oC is perfectly within limits. Nvidia have manufacturered these cards for this very purpose.

The limit is 105oC is any below that is fine. I have 2 in SLI mode and they run fine. Never going above 92oC (which happened once) as they run between 75-85oC on average.

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I live in Sunny Southern California and it gets hot here, too... If your PC Case has good ventilation and you are not planning to overclock it should not be a problem... I have a PC Case Fan blowing the heat out and the air coming out is quite cool and not warm or hot... my PC Case came with 3 Fans and is rated a top buy on Tom's Hardware... darn I was hoping for the GTX 470 to keep me warm during cold winter nights too... :eek: