Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Money to burn..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 1:11:41 PM

Guys,

In a bit of a predicament. I have a tax rebate of £170 and getting a very good wage from work.
Im looking at yet again, upgrading my system. Looking to get the most outta my PC.

I want to EITHER get another GTX 470 or get a dedicated Physx card.
I have the ASUS reference cards, but was wondering if I get a Gigabyte OC'd card as its a bit cheaper than the ASUS card, (I would Overclock the ASUS cards to match the Gigabytes its not overclocked by much anyways)
Would I see a difference between 2x GTX470's or would it be more worth while getting a dedicated Physx card as the the improvement from 2 to 3 is not a huge amount (like a single to SLI is very good scaling)

Also linked to this, what would be a decent long term Physx card? I don't wanna spend alot of money on a Physx card, 6months down the line I need to upgrade it due to it being quite shite lol..

PSU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...
Gigabyte GPU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

Or do I forget all this and save money?? Nahhhhhh :-)

Cheers

More about : money burn

a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 1:23:20 PM

1000W and 132 pounds? Ther emust be something wrong. Get a better PSU like Corsair, Seasonic. Don't know how good Sapphire is at making PSU's.

The decision of not doing anything depends on what you currently have. Please mention your specs.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 1:30:20 PM

Read some reviews located from google to suggest this is a decent PSU. And going Corsair blah blah blah just is just not viable, not willing to spend £200 on a PSU, sorry i cant justify myself to spend far too much on a PSU..

And look at my sig, this mentions my System :-)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 1:56:28 PM

That is the problem! The link is blocked from my office. And i dont think you need a 1000W PSU for a dual GTX470. A 750W would do just fine!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 2:02:03 PM

I have 2 Already, looking for a 3rd, or a Physx card..

m
0
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 26, 2010 2:14:35 PM

Please donate money to the 'Help omgitzfatal take over the world charity' (Graphics cards accepted)



On a more serious note I really don't think you need any more GPU Powahh. Personally I'd invest alot of time and some money into a GPU waterloop for your GTX470's, It'll silence the beasts and you'll be able to max out those overclocks.


Tri SLI = Longer E-peen + Better FPS

Watercooling = Quietness + Better FPS (overclock to the maxxx)

Anyway thats just my thoughts, haz fun spending monies! :D  :sol: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 2:56:31 PM

diminishing returns with the 3rd card. i'd go with what he ^ said.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 4:28:21 PM

I might consider a new case ? I have a Antec 300, thats very functional. And I like its black 'simple' look. But sometimes I fancy something new, bigger , with more fans.
The new nzxt stormtrooper , I mean phantom is sharp.
Or those new Antec Lanboy Air. The whole thing can be reconfigured a couple hundred ways , :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2010 4:41:09 PM

Quote:
Buy something else rather than dumping it in that tin box.


Tin Box??

@everyone else whos opinion i respect, Ok maybe not a GTX470, but what would be a decent dedicated Physx card? Something for the lang huall?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 8:37:39 AM

A GTX285! But that's old. A GTX460 would also be good!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 9:43:40 AM

Quote:
Tin box means your cabinet.lol


its Steel and Aluminium.. Tin isnt viable as a PC Case.

If it was a joke, im afraid it wasnt a very good one, but i hope it made yourself smile..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 10:02:30 AM

notty22 said:
I might consider a new case ? I have a Antec 300, thats very functional. And I like its black 'simple' look. But sometimes I fancy something new, bigger , with more fans.
The new nzxt stormtrooper , I mean phantom is sharp.
Or those new Antec Lanboy Air. The whole thing can be reconfigured a couple hundred ways , :) 
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-129-093-TS?$S300W$


Well, you are right it can be configured 100 ways, but its meant more so for LAN, obviously, and if you dont do that, doesnt have many advantages, besides being able to light up your house or be a substitute as a christmas tree ;)  I check the new releases section of newegg for cases very often, and a lot of people seem to like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 10:05:37 AM

What makes Japanese Steel so special??? :??: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 11:46:04 AM

ares1214 said:
Well, you are right it can be configured 100 ways, but its meant more so for LAN, obviously, and if you dont do that, doesnt have many advantages, besides being able to light up your house or be a substitute as a christmas tree ;)  I check the new releases section of newegg for cases very often, and a lot of people seem to like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I can see you have no clue, thats one ugly pos.

Japanese Steel has a reputation of having higher strength. Certain racing engine components are made from it as well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 11:51:40 AM

Quite a nice Case, seen better and alot worse lol..

Also, just been researching and looks now im getting a 8800GT for a couple of beer tokens from a mate, what was wondering if the performance would improve in Physx games, as my motherbaord supports 16x/8x/8x or 16x/16x/1x Would the Physx card work aswell as it should in the 1x mode, or would it be advisable and to see imrpovments running it in 8x mode?? Or is this only for a 3way SLI setup??

Cheers
m
0
l
October 27, 2010 2:32:41 PM

I say either watercool, or get a really nice air cooling case like the Silverstone FT02.

You've got enough GPU power, and a decent system, so time to upgrade to a chassis that will last you a long time, and perform really well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 2:41:09 PM

The HAF922 is a very good air cooling case, no need for me to upgrade my case, its well beyond the call fo duty for my needs, and its not something im replace at £85 for this case..

Looking into either another 470 for Tri-Sli or getting a 460/465 as a dedicated Physx card.. Reserached and that getting a 8800GTS as a Physx card reduces FPS as it cant cope with the bandwith of the 2x GTX470's (or in the case i read, 285's)

Watercooling is not an opinion as its crap to be honest, 1 slight tear or drip of water and bang, whole system gone.. Not a chance..

Cheers anyways..
m
0
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2010 2:55:20 PM

I can assure you watercooling is not crap, got my HD5850 @ 1000Mhz core 1200Mhz mem (Stock is 725/1000) 1.225V, it idles at room temp +3C and loads at 34C, thats with a core i7 920 @4Ghz HT on 1.32V in the same loop which idles at 30-35C and loads at 49-57C
Pretty impressive temps if you ask me, Tubing will not tear easily, its really strong and elastic. Maybe you've been reading some horror stories or perhaps don't have a clue and are just guessing.
I've had my PC watercooled for about a year now, I move my PC around alot (maybe 3 times a month to my friends house for alittle game time) and never had a leak.
m
0
l
October 27, 2010 2:58:39 PM

reccy said:
The HAF922 is a very good air cooling case, no need for me to upgrade my case, its well beyond the call fo duty for my needs, and its not something im replace at £85 for this case..

Looking into either another 470 for Tri-Sli or getting a 460/465 as a dedicated Physx card.. Reserached and that getting a 8800GTS as a Physx card reduces FPS as it cant cope with the bandwith of the 2x GTX470's (or in the case i read, 285's)

Watercooling is not an opinion as its crap to be honest, 1 slight tear or drip of water and bang, whole system gone.. Not a chance..

Cheers anyways..


True, the 922 is a good aircooling case, but the FT02 is much better, especially the new ones with the AP181 fans, will cool your 470s much better, is MUCH quieter, and is built of better contruction.

I honestly don't think you'd see much of a gain adding a PhysX card to your setup. What resolution monitor do you run? Cause if it's just 1 monitor at 1920x1080/1200, you've already got more then enough HP in that beast.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 3:36:11 PM

More hard disks...

Otherwise you can buy speakers,joysticks,all in one printers,webcams,more monitors for multiple display.
Since you seem to be having enough power in your system and water cooling is something you want to avoid.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 3:55:32 PM

Rustyy117 said:
I can assure you watercooling is not crap, got my HD5850 @ 1000Mhz core 1200Mhz mem (Stock is 725/1000) 1.225V, it idles at room temp +3C and loads at 34C, thats with a core i7 920 @4Ghz HT on 1.32V in the same loop which idles at 30-35C and loads at 49-57C
Pretty impressive temps if you ask me, Tubing will not tear easily, its really strong and elastic. Maybe you've been reading some horror stories or perhaps don't have a clue and are just guessing.
I've had my PC watercooled for about a year now, I move my PC around alot (maybe 3 times a month to my friends house for alittle game time) and never had a leak.


I ment crap as in, if air fails youve got longer and pretty much it aint gonan die if not air cooling, it will power down.
With water though, if it fails (and ive seen it with a Enermax Cude Case) then everything goes boom.. no matter how small the leak is..

There are pretty impressive temps, and im a noob at water cooling, just to me its like playing you computer on your lap in the bath... lol (imagine it now haha)

m
0
l
a c 624 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2010 4:44:17 PM

A GTX430 is probably a good cheap PhysX card. You will see about a 25% fps increase in games that use PhysX.

At the same time, you have to consider how much adding a third GTX470 will help. If it's more than a 25% increase, then there's your answer right there. Since 3 way SLI on the GTX470 does scale well, your last consideration is bottlenecking on your CPU:

"3-way SLI will quickly run into limitations, the biggest one being your processor. Now our Core i7 965 is locked and loaded at 3.75 GHz, which already is a decent overclock. With the older or less demanding titles our setup is still not enough to feed three GTX 470 cards. We could have overclocked higher, but then the rest of our tests and results from other cards would be rendered invalid. Still, scaling was very noticeable and interesting alright."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-2-3-way-s...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 5:30:42 PM

^ I can't understand,how can a gt 430 help if even the GTS 8800 fails to keep up with bandwidth(as the OP earlier stated in his posts).
m
0
l
a c 624 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2010 5:42:20 PM

Anik8 said:
^ I can't understand,how can a gt 430 help if even the GTS 8800 fails to keep up with bandwidth(as the OP earlier stated in his posts).

I have heard in the past that you need the 9000 series and above to really get good results as a dedicated PhysX card. I'm not sure what "keeping up with the bandwidth" means when you're talking about a card with only one purpose, to perform PhysX calculations. My understanding is that an el cheapo card of recent vintage will do the job just fine.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 5:43:54 PM

Been researching it in work, and somewhere im sure it said that an 8800GTS is worse off at physx with 2x SLi 260's then it is without (just 2x GTx260 on there own)

Cant remember the site, will check later
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 5:47:51 PM

yeah I said that 8800 and above cards are best for dedicated physx cards,theres nothing wrong with that but if they r used as dedicated Physx cards alongside 2 GTX 470 in SLI,their(8800s say) performance is too less and is ignored.Not even their physx processings are counted.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 5:49:35 PM

And considering the fact that 8800 GT has 3 times the bandwidth of a gt 430 with gts 8800 having 4 times.So here GT 430 is nothing.
While I've also read if you already have high end cards in sli a seperate dedicated physx card is not needed,sli takes care of that by adjusting balance between the gpus
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 5:54:40 PM

You don't need a thrid GTX470, you won't see that much difference. Also, you wouldn't need a dedicated physx card unless you are playing physx games, which are far and few between. I would suggest a SSD or save up for the next gen graphics to come.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 6:36:58 PM

notty22 said:
I can see you have no clue, thats one ugly pos.

Japanese Steel has a reputation of having higher strength. Certain racing engine components are made from it as well.


Which is why i say a lot of people seem to like this one, not me necessarily. And some people actually care about performance, not looks ;)  If you must know, i actually like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That plus some good fans is the best deal IMO.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:05:59 PM

I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Got a 140mm Fan at the bottom sucking air up through the system and a extra 200mm on the side sucking air into the case also.

This thing is pretty big for a case, and seems to cool things brilliantly well. 2-5oC over my old CM Gladiator Case with 5 120mm fans
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:12:28 PM

reccy said:
I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Got a 140mm Fan at the bottom sucking air up through the system and a extra 200mm on the side sucking air into the case also.

This thing is pretty big for a case, and seems to cool things brilliantly well. 2-5oC over my old CM Gladiator Case with 5 120mm fans

Id take the 692 over it anyway, much more feature filled, has the potential for much better cooling.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:23:02 PM

The 692 looks cheap and awful.. Just a standard black case.. The Haf as some character to it, aggressive looks and just to me likes brilliant..

Couple it with the Aercool Fan Controller Display like me old man has and its awesome looking :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:27:18 PM

reccy said:
The 692 looks cheap and awful.. Just a standard black case.. The Haf as some character to it, aggressive looks and just to me likes brilliant..

Couple it with the Aercool Fan Controller Display like me old man has and its awesome looking :) 


Cheap and awful?! Have you seen the inside of it?!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:31:05 PM

Everyone has different tastes with cases, which is why I don't need Ares forcing his criteria of what has good performance/looks at me. Because I don't agree with him :) 
There is no right or wrong, its why their are a MILLION choices and more every day.
Of course some think they were born RIGHT !

edit: Little off topic, another Sandy Bridege o/c to 5ghz on air ! Save some of that rainy day money.
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/10/25/first-k-series-s...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:32:08 PM

Yeah, very similar to the HAF 912/922.. The all black is nice i must say (912 has this, 922 doesnt) But, apart from that its pretty similar to the inside of my case..

The outside is all that matters to me, as i dont peek into my case all day long lol.. Will take a picture of me case inside and out.. see what ya think ;) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:40:27 PM

notty22 said:
Everyone has different tastes with cases, which is why I don't need Ares forcing his criteria of what has good performance/looks at me. Because I don't agree with him :) 
There is no right or wrong, its why their are a MILLION choices and more every day.
Of course some think they were born RIGHT !

edit: Little off topic, another Sandy Bridege o/c to 5ghz on air ! Save some of that rainy day money.
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/10/25/first-k-series-s...


Where did i force my criteria for a good case on anyone? I mean, some things just make it quality of not, so agree with it or not, but things like black interior, cable management, cool less, LCS holes, fan setup, and just overall build quality=quality.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 7:55:24 PM

ares1214 said:
Where did i force my criteria for a good case on anyone? I mean, some things just make it quality of not, so agree with it or not, but things like black interior, cable management, cool less, LCS holes, fan setup, and just overall build quality=quality.


edit :o ff topic !
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 8:08:10 PM

Buy some coke and find a nice young lady willing to let you snort it off her behind.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 8:10:32 PM

lol, Layer Cake.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2010 9:04:55 PM








Me Old Man's ;)  (yes i copied him with the case)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 6:57:31 AM

17seconds said:
Those photos you have there are some serious geek porn.


And??? Care to elaborate on this, or you just gonna tease me some more..
m
0
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 28, 2010 10:13:57 AM

Great stuff man, I really like the industrial look of the CM HAF's, only thing i would do is get to work with some spray paint on the inside of the case, but thats just me. Nice cable management BTW. :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 10:16:44 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Great stuff man, I really like the industrial look of the CM HAF's, only thing i would do is get to work with some spray paint on the inside of the case, but thats just me. Nice cable management BTW. :) 


I bought the HAF 912 in the first instance (like in my sig pic) but they sent me the 922 as the 912 hadnt been delievered and they couldnt get it for another couple of weeks.

I have thought about it, ALOT actually.. But will do when i have more time to spare :) 
m
0
l
!