2 computers powering 1 computer?

canaduh

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Okay hear me out, i searched this and didn't really find anything... Im building my new computer, and the power supply i have is a 750w, but only has 1 sata power connector. The dilemma comes with the fact i need 2. One for my dvd drive and the other for the harddrive. I need both powered obviously while i install windows, is it possible to connect one of the sata power connectors from my old computer to just the harddrive or dvd drive while i install on the new computer. It is after all just a power transfer right? The actual sata cable connects with the motherboard, not this power cable?

Any input is appreciated.

canaduh

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
i forgot to mention, i saw the write ups on how to connect two power supplies to each other to power on at the same time, but in this case, i would have 2 computers running, but using the sata power connectors on the old computer to power the HD/dvd drive. As again, it only supplies the juice and doesn't need input from the motherboard, right?

canaduh

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
So far, I'm installing windows 7 on my new computer with the DVD drive plugged into the sata power cable coming from my old computer. I turned my old computer on before booting the new computer (with it's power supply only powering the hard drive) and so far so good.

G

i have done what you want to do, i am a case modder and run three power supplies from the press of one button on my main case. the cable i used you cant buy you will have to make it yourself but from the press of the main power button on your main system you can start as many psu as you like. stormbringer149@hotmail.com this is my email address if you want the spec for the cable just mail me and i will draw you up a diagram. it is very easy to make and will cost about £10 so cheap to for what it does.