Sign in with
Your question

Reboot or select proper boot device Tseries

Last response: in Windows 7
November 20, 2011 1:47:48 AM

I installed Windows 7 on a sata HDD. I also have XP on an IDE HDD which is what I was using up until now.

When I boot the windows 7 HDD by itself it gives me the error "Reboot or Select Proper Boot Device".

If I start the computer with the XP HDD and the Windows 7 HDD, then I get the option to boot from Windows 7 or "an earlier version" (which is just the xp installation I have).

Everything works fine this way, but I want the power cable for my graphics card. So I need to get the W 7 HDD to boot by itself.

I have a TP43D2-A7 Tseries motherboard and I installed the BIOS update.

When I'm in BIOS it does detect the windows 7 hdd, but it does not want to boot from it, even if it is the only item on the boot list.

I'd appreciate any advice. And if any more information is needed I will reply quickly. :) 
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2011 4:52:28 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

I think you need to reinstall Windows 7 as the only system present at that time then reintroduce XP afterwards but I don't understand the bit about the power cable for your graphics card.

m
l
November 20, 2011 5:00:34 AM

Ah, yeah, I thought that might be the case. Basically my power supply only has four connectors and I need four of them to run my video card. The W7 HDD uses a different power connection than the other HDD.

I'm currently creating a boot USB drive to see if I can't use this guide to help me out:

http://idoneitmyself.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/windows-7...

I was using the Sata drive for storage before I installed windows 7 on it and tried to boot from it. I'd like to be able to keep my data if at all possible.
m
l
November 20, 2011 5:02:05 AM

Oh and thank you by the way. :) 
m
l
Related resources
!