Squadinho

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hi all,

Just added some more RAM to my PC, and now my computer is failing to start. More precisely it will power up for a few seconds before completely cutting out. CPU fan spins normally.

I've tried removing the RAM one by one, down to now RAM sticks at all. Tried removing the GPU and still no better.

I am hesitant to keep trying things because I don't want to cause any more damage to my system.

PSU in question is 550W made by Antec.
GFX Card is nVidia GTX 260 OC Edition (Gigabyte)
4GB RAM (Sticks are identical)
Intel Q6600 CPU.

I'm guessing that the addition of new RAM cause the PSU to fry or could it be something more sinister?

Obviously I can't boot into windows, and I don't have a spare PSU to try.

Thanks,

PS: Merry Xmas all :)

Squadinho

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hi, thanks very much for the reply.

Worked my way through that thread. Powered up and I thought it was working. Booted up for about a minute then...

*POP*

And before I could get to the plug

*BANG*

Smoke was definitely coming from the PSU, but may possibly have been coming from the CPU too, and possibly the MOBO. Is there a way I can figure which, if not all parts are fried?

I can't swap any parts over, and if I'm gonna have to buy new bits I'd obviously rather buy it all together.

I'm pretty sure the GFX card and RAM didn't fry. They don't smell and didn't witness any smoke coming from them.

Thanks.

Squadinho

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I can't see anything obvious, but I don't really know what I'm looking for if I'm honest.

Just removed the PSU and it absoloutely stinks of burning electrics. Not sure if I can smell the same thing on the Mobo or the CPU though. Is there a way of knowing if the CPU is fried?

Also, if I fit a new PSU and the CPU is damaged, will that cause the new PSU to break too? And if I were to replace the CPU, and the mobo was fried, would the mobo break the new CPU?

Obviously I don't want to be adding new pieces if something else is gonna break it.

Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
What I mean is by borrowing someone else's PSU you can find out if you need to buy anything else. Nothing worse then getting PSU only to find out X doesn't work anymore either.

I can never remember which Coolermaster PSUs are the good ones. Seeing as its 85% efficient its probably one of their better ones.

Squadinho

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
yeah i don't really have access to another PSU. All my friends either have real basic systems or just have laptops.

Thanks for advice though, I'll report back when i get my hands on another PSU and let you know if I end up burning my house down. :D

Here is a test of the CM 750GX if the 650GX is the same I would suggest a different brand http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=188
Maybe this one http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-xfx-p1-650s-nlb9-core-edition-80-plus-bronze-85-eff-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-135mm-fan

Squadinho

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Ok, here is an update.

Haven't bought a new PSU yet, managed to track down a friend with a known working PSU (650W Antec, don't know exact model). Same problem, it powers up but cuts within a second as if it is telling me something is wrong.

What I have tried:

Reseating CPU (with new thermal paste, used Arctic Silver 5, cleaned old off with ArctiClean).
Resetting CMOS
Breadboarding with just 1 stick of RAM (known to be working).
Worked my way through the thread posted above.

The CPU fan does spin for the brief moments the system has power. CPU in question is a Q6600.

Any ideas what else I can try, or am I likely to have to fork out a new motherboard? I don't know anyone who has a motherboard that is compatible with my CPU.