Romeka Bonaface

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I've been looking around at a bunch of benchmarks... anandtech's is the easiest to compare... and it seems that unless you're using 2 (or even 3) very high end gpus and the most expensive, tightest possible RAM, there is negligible (if any) difference in gaming (and other application) performance.

Of course it's absolutely amazing how much faster the sandy bridge, for example, is in video encoding and CAD and POV-Ray, but it's also amazing how a q9400 will practically match an i7 950 clock for clock on a single GTX 570. Anybody else think that's awesome? I remember when people said 775 was dead in January... of 2009. LOL oh you guys. Spending 400 dollars every other year to get that extra 6 fps. When will you learn?

Anybody wanna predict when 775 will actually die? I'm guessing November of 2012 earliest, March of 2013 latest.

That entirely depends on what you mean by "die". As far as new systems are concerned? It's already dead. As far as when an old 775 system is slow enough that it's worth upgrading? That entirely depends on what you're doing. A 775 system is still plenty for gaming, but it's going to severely lag if your goal involves more complicated computation.

Romeka Bonaface

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I know that ^.

The vast majority of PC "enthusiasts," or rather, users here are most concerned with gaming. So for a vast majority, it is not "dead." And more to that, "as far as new systems are concerned," everything that isn't 1 day old is dead. The 1155 chips are going to die in about 3 months when intel decides to announce the release of 2011... know what I mean?

I just think we're reaching a point where we need to sh*t or get off the pot. Computations and mathematics in gaming are only getting so complicated. We need Maya 11 like control (and look/fidelity) in real time with multiple outcomes and the utmost of specific articulation... down to being able to move a specific finger of your character... to actually take advantage of the technology these companies are engineering/developing. At least that's how I see it.

Again, I don't think 775 will actually "die" for at least 18 months... as far as Half Life 3 is concerned ;).

intel-MBs_3-11-11.jpg

Romeka Bonaface

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

Why would there be? There hasn't been a "new" 775 processor since January... of 2009.

In 6 months do you think there will be any "new" core based processors that aren't 1155 or 2011?

NO

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I recently considered socket-775 for a home server, since I wanted ECC and am not about to pay for a Xeon. I looked at the CPU charts on THG, and it seems a Phenom X4 (which supports ECC) matched or beat 45 nm Core 2 Quad in nearly all categories.

And you can get AMD boards with USB 3 and up to 8x 6 Gbps SATA ports! I'm a big fan of AMD's decision to use HyperTransport in their consumer-grade CPUs. It gives you server-class I/O for very affordable prices.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

This is due to Core2 being ahead of its generation of GPUs. Match up i7 and C2Q/Phenom II on GTX 570 SLI and see if it's only a 6 frame difference. :) People haven't been calling Phenom II dead, and Thuban (6 core) is the first AMD CPU to really out-match 45nm C2Q (not in gaming however).

Like people are saying, the "dead" part comes from the production of LGA 775 CPUs coming to an end, including future LGA 775 products.

You can say LGA 775 is already dead, in your terms, due to you being able to purchase a new system for less money than a new LGA 775 setup.