Budget System Build + HTPC less than $300

atlantabraves2000

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to build a system for project work. It will also serve me as an HTPC. I want to go with the small form factor keeping the budget in mind. It will not be used for gaming. It will be mainly used for running experiments. I do not need a slow processor also like AMD Sempron (which can be unlocked to make dual core for work on HTPC)

For Case something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147098

I have seen the motherboard + processor combo offers at microcenter. The wattage power of some of them is quite high. I have kept them for last resort.

I already have a hard drive and I do not need a DVD drive. I do not need a monitor as well. I have kept the budget as $300 but I want to spend as less as possible.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Solution
both motherboards look very similar, the microcenter one is notably cheaper, so I'd get that one ($140.99 vs $167.98). the 350W PSU included with the case is more than good enough to handle everything you want to do.

atlantabraves2000

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime soon

Budget Range: $300 (Lower the better)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Project experiments(not very intensive), HTPC

Parts Not Required: DVD drive, Hard Drive, Monitor, OS.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:None

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Micro ATX HTPC like case

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: No noise and good cooling

This is my $280AR build - just remove Hdd/DVDRW since u have on hand ^^
Untitled-1695.jpg

it will, and comes with a decent power supply built in.

If you're going to Microcenter, consider the Athlon II X4 + MSI 785 combo for $95.99. its a hard deal to pass up.

add the 500 GB Spinpoint F3 drive for $44.99

Your case at $39.99

4 GB of DDR3-1333 at $49.99

and a DVD Burner for $17.99

and thats a solid system for $248.95