Computer fried / Wont boot Need help!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Boot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2010 3:38:01 PM

So i have had this computer for about 2 years. Everything worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when my vid card died and later found out it was the mobo as well (i put in a different vidcard and the mobo fried that card as well. the capacitors visibly blew on the card).

So i replaced both the vidcard and the mobo. (biostar G41-M7 and MSI 9800gtx+) and everything is working fine. I can play games again with no lag or anything.

Problem is...sometimes when i push the power button to start the computer. All the lights and fans turn on, but the computer doesnt start up. Nothing is displayed on the monitor and i dont hear the harddrive working to load windows.

I have to shut it down and turn it back on and then it boots normally. (this happens about 40% of the time)

WHAT is this? is it a funny mobo setting? or is the problem actually my PSU (was that the thing that fried everything in the first place?)

my PSU is a corsair tx650w PSU

thanks for your help in advance

More about : computer fried wont boot

a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2010 4:11:00 PM

Have you checked the power start switch? It may have an intermittent problem.

You can eliminate the power switch by unplugging the PWRSW connector and then shorting the two header pins using a screwdriver. If this works repeatedly, then you have a bad power switch.
m
l
December 26, 2010 5:16:17 PM

but the system does powerup...the button turns stuff on in the tower...

but it doesnt post, nor does it beep, and it doesnt boot to windows

this morning i had to push power button and turn the computer off 5 times before it started up

so it seems like its getting worse...

anyone?
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2010 5:33:26 PM

already did that...

when my computer fried

i replaced with a new mobo and sent the broken vid card back for a replacement

i used the computer for 3 weeks with no problem (running off of onboard video)

The new vid card came, i plugged it in and i started noticing this problem.

im guessing its a vid card problem... but wouldnt the bois still post or at least beep or something?

also when the computer actually DOES start up to windows...it works perfect until i shut it down again.

(note) the new vid card required 2 of those 6-pin power cords and the old one only needed 1. is a 650w PSU enough for this vid card maybe?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 26, 2010 5:58:03 PM

650W would be sufficient, but make sure that the PSU is in good condition. Sometimes faulty PSUs will create strange results, and cause further problems.
m
l
December 27, 2010 1:27:47 AM

or maybe its bad ram?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 27, 2010 11:54:51 AM

You can check the RAM by running memtest86+ on one stick at a time.
m
l
December 30, 2010 3:12:04 PM

ok so played around in bios...now the computer has been turning on normally for 4 days in a row. i turned off the on-board graphics card and turned on PnP OS... its working YAY

BUT! today while playing a game. it froze for a second and when it unfroze...the graphics were all messed up. textures where all over the place. structures in game totally disappeared. what might THIS problem be?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 30, 2010 6:26:23 PM

Is the driver for the graphics card up-to-date? I have a GTX-275, and on starting the computer, the graphics driver stops working on one of my programs, screen blacks out, and the graphics driver resumes exactly after 60 seconds. After that everything is fine until I shut down at the end of the day. This happens every time I start the computer. Minor inconvenience, so I don't bother about it (I did update the driver, but the situation worsened in my case, so I went back to the old driver).

This happens only on my Win 7 64-bit computer, not on my XP or Vista computers.

I don't know whether this will help in your case, but it is worth a try. Backup everything before you experiment.
m
l
December 31, 2010 10:23:51 PM

yes it is up to date

so the problem starting the computer came back...

also today the computer froze while playing a game...then the onboard sound had an issue (said that i just plugged the speakers in, when they were already plugged in the whole time)

then i got graphics glitches on the screen.

then it locked up again and the mobo let out a beep and then it froze completely
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 12:06:26 AM

Time to do a complete virus scan and also a spy program scan (Spybot S&D)
m
l
January 1, 2011 2:06:24 AM

this is after a reformatting and installing a fresh copy of windows on the machine....

anyone? idea?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 10:50:51 AM

Re-formatting and installing a fresh copy of windows on the machine would be the ideal way to go. Keep in mind that you will have to re-install all your programs if you decide to go this route. Yes, after you re-install the OS, you must do a complete (full system) virus check as well as spy program check.

Another option is to utilize the RESTORE function from "Backup & Restore" (Control Panel) and restore the computer to a known good configuration date. Then run the anti-virus and Spybot programs. Sometimes this may not be suitable if the computer backup and restore function does not go far enough back in time in order to obtain a 'known good date'.
m
l
January 1, 2011 6:29:42 PM

i already reinstalled windows about 3 days ago.

the video card is messed up... in bois it is giving me random artifacts and the screen doesnt look correct

but when i go back to onboard video everything is clear and fine. ( i dont have another vid card to test in the mobo slot)

so im assuming the replacement vid card that MSI sent me is dead...yay
m
l
January 1, 2011 6:34:14 PM

i also tested my PSU with a multimeter and everything is perfect
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 9:50:54 PM

aldrinstorm said:
i already reinstalled windows about 3 days ago.

the video card is messed up... in bois it is giving me random artifacts and the screen doesnt look correct

but when i go back to onboard video everything is clear and fine. ( i dont have another vid card to test in the mobo slot)

so im assuming the replacement vid card that MSI sent me is dead...yay

Your assumption is correct! It is not unusual for an entire manufacturing batch to be defective - all it takes is 1 bad component on the board. That's why they have serial numbers so that the defective product can be recalled. (Remember automotive recalls?).

Just make sure that you get a 'known good' video card and then install that card. There is also the possibility that the video slot is defective. If you have multiple slots, try a different slot.
m
l
!