POST beep, black screen help?

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
I just today built a computer with parts I got for x-mas.

The parts I got were

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 (3.0ghz)
GPU: Galaxy Geforce GTX 460 1gb
RAM: 2x(2gb) of G.Skill Ripjaws ram 1333mhz
Mobo: MSI 880GM-E41
PSU: 500 watt built into case
Case: Rosewill R519-BK

I can boot it up but when I do it shows a message with my graphics card model. It then goes to a screen with my motherboard brand.

The problem is after the mobo screen it beeps once and shows a screen with a dash that flashes...all of the fans are running and there is a blue light on the mobo. When I press a key it sometimes makes a clicking/beeping noise.

Please respond soon, It has frustrated me to my limit and this forum is my last resort.

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

No I have not...I do not have a dvd or cd drive in the system because my power supply doesnt have enough connectors. I tried using a usb flash drive. but no luck

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

I cant even get to bios...my gtx 460 is using an adapter 4pin molex to 6 pin pci-e connector so i dont have a spare for a drive....

Even when I hit a key on my keyboard it does nothing...sometimes it just beeps when i press a key...

I suggest that you take the GTX460 out of the system for now, run it on the integrated mobo GPU until you have an OS installed. Rosewill PSU's are not known to be the best ones and I suggest you get a better quality PSU, Antec, Corsair or Seasonic, after the Holidays.

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

I have already tried that unfortunately...it didnt work...

gefthebest

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Hi thedigitalrob,

I you have followed rolli59's instructions and it still doesn't work, you might have to check for a slightly more powerful PSU (what is the brand of the PSU?). Official the required power for the GTX 460 1Gb is 450W by itself but benchmarks show it only really needs ~360W.. Nevertheless, if your PSU is of poor quality or if everything rolli59 told you doesn't work, you might have to try a new PSU, or just take the card out for the OS installation.

Hope that helps

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

It still doesnt work, even with the video card out...I start up the computer a few seconds later all I hear is a beep, the fans are running, and everything seems fine but all I get is a flashing dash on my screen

(sorry for triple posting)

gefthebest

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Agreed :) Its gotta be the Mobo...
(before though you could make sure you followed well some guide when installing an OS on a Flash drive... check http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download it has all the info on there..., try booting with Ubuntu on USB)

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Well. I just unplugged my hard drive...and it now gives me a beep and goes to a screen that says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert media into selected boot device and press a key" Could it be a bad hard drive by any chance?

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

I can get to post...i used a hard drive that had windows xp on it and it worked...but now i need to wipe that drive...and i dont know how without a cd drive available or even a OS disk...im downloading ubuntu right now...gonna see if that works

thedigitalrob

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

Would you know how to install windows 7 from ubuntu...cause i keep getting an error

gefthebest

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Hi thedigitalrob,

Haha, I'm glad at least the ubuntu thing worked...
I believe it is not possible to install Windows 7 from ubuntu for various reasons (such as because Ubuntu is Linux and does not run .exe files by default... but there are ways around this I think). There might be complicated ways around this but better try simpler.
So you definitely cannot use your CD/DVD drive right?
If so, you can also use a USB to copy your Windows 7 CD on. Unetbootin does not support Windows OSs I think, but you can follow the microsoft guide http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool, it should be easy enoughish...

PS: rolli59 or other people more experienced than me might know of better ways but you can just try that USB one for now....

TRENDING THREADS